Agnostic.com

6 8

LINK A neat website to help people see satellites from their own yards (subject to clouds and light pollution of course).

You can put in your own latitude and longitude so it is customized to your location and you can register so it will remember you.

I looked up the Tiangong-1 Chinese space station (due to fall soon) and was surprised. I'd heard it was fast moving but I didn't realize how fast.
The passes visible from where I am in the next few days only last a few seconds each.

Anyway, you can look up when and where to go outside and see satellites or the ISS or many other objects. It's an impressive experience -- they even track things like the attitudes of solar panels on some satellites so you can see the bright flashs(flares) of sun reflections. All in all it's pretty neat.

RichCC 8 Mar 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

very cool!

N2YO.com is great site as well. I use many different sites depending on what I'm looking for.

I use an app, ISS Detector, on my Android phone. Works great.It also features "flares" which is when for a few seconds sunlight glints off a satellite. Some of these are very bright and I wonder how did I never notice them!

Been a Heavens-Above user for a dozen years. It's fun to mess with folks heads by 'predicting' an Iridium flare. The velocity of low Earth orbiting satellites (aka, LEOs) is in the 17,000 mph (28,000 kph) range. Still, during an horizon to horizon pass, they may remain visible for several minutes. Thanks for sharing this!

I've followed it for a long time too. I tend to put it aside... then I get reminded by the space station falling or a resupply docking with the ISS or someone I know who I think might like it or something, then I'm avid for a while again. Lol I guess.

Looks like a bad ass site. Looks like this is loaded with info, too. Thanks for sharing!

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:44668
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.