Agnostic.com

3 1

"SOS" message in snow helped save man stranded over 20 days in Alaska

Tyson Steele, 30, said his cabin in the remote Susitna Valley burned down in mid-December after he mistakenly put cardboard inside his wood stove.

"I knew it was a problem, I've had wood stoves all my life. I knew that you don't do that,” he said. “So, it sent a spark out through the chimney which landed on the roof."

Soon, the entire roof was on fire. Steele said he quickly grabbed what he could — some blankets from his bed, a few coats, and some sleeping bags — and fled.

"I stepped outside and everything's on fire," he said.

He's lucky to be alive. Why did he put cardboard in the wood stove, knowing it's a problem? It's foolhardy to live alone in a remote Alaska cabin in winter. What if he gets injured or sick?

Glad he came to his senses. He's moving to Salt Lake City to live with relatives.

[nbcnews.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Jan 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Happy he was safely rescued

I had no idea that could happen.

Now more than ever I realize how important it is to leave detailed instructions for vacation renters using my cabin wood burning stove.

Sincere thanks!

@ToolGuy

Did you have a chimney spark arrestor for both wood stoves?

@ToolGuy

Good for you!

Obviously, Tyson Steele did not have a chimney spark arrestor in his chimney.

If he came to his senses, why in he moving to Salt Lake City ?

@Fernapple

Read the article. He has family in Salt Lake City, Utah.

He realized it is dangerous to live alone in a remote cabin in Alaska in subzero temperatures.

@LiterateHiker I know it said he had relatives there, even stranger.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:448480
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.