Agnostic.com

8 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Why not CT scans ? Med students should practice on each other OBVIOUSLY by consent and INSTRUCTORS should meet with the patient before surgery and demonstrate the exam and get consent for the exact number of students to do this learning exercise about ovaries vagina and uterus "feeling"....I guess cold cadavers donated to med schools just do not feel the same as a live sedated victim

@altschmerz if it was good for patients why not good for med students AND THEIR INSTRUCTORS?? PELVIC exams checking for ovaries was harmless still is harmless in 42 states and checking for enlarged prostate glands needs repetitive practice????????

@altschmerz so called doctors have taken extreme advantage against patients from nonconsensual pelvic exams to brutal amputation of baby boy prepuce 4 square inches of healthy organ tissue.....no wonder lawyers win millions of dollars against these butchers ....saving one life does not justify violating another life

I read @ NYU both men and women give explicit CONSENT to vaginal or rectal invasive exams..... without informed consent, this is rape pure and simple ....body cavity searches are done in prisons too

For that to be ethical, I think it's necessary to get consent and have an unbiased witness in the room while the procedure is performed.

This American Life did a piece on this in 2018
[thisamericanlife.org]

MsAl Level 8 Jan 13, 2020

I heard about this earlier in the year. It is sketchy they don't put it out there more but I'll be the first to sign a consent form to let this happen. And I'm not all that upset that it has been. They do need to understand what pelvic exams are supposed to feel like and I am all for more young doctors having a working knowledge women's health.
I would be interested to know if the student doctors are feeling less vaginas in practice settings now that this has come under scrutiny and is illegal in some states. And if this affects women's health.

MsAl Level 8 Jan 13, 2020

Atrocious practice never I always had a proctor and patient was awake and consenting

bobwjr Level 10 Jan 13, 2020

Are we in 1920? This is wrong wrong wrong!

That’s hideous . First of all , even w consent and awake , we always bring another person w us in the room as witness . To protect our selves and to protect the patient . That’s wrong doing 🙁

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:448738
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.