Agnostic.com

11 4

Hard to be Atheist

Since I'm from a muslim country I never thought that the non muslim countries actully face a difficult time being an atheists or non believers , so if you're from a non muslim countries what are the difficulties that face you being a non religious person?

Haneen 5 Nov 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well I for one was disowned By my extended family. Every time I talk to a theist and they find out that I'm an atheist they always try to either convert me, Argue with me, or in some cases resort to violence when they realize that I'm not buying what they're selling. I grew up in a part of the US that was almost as closed minded as Iraq. It was a horrible state Known as Alabama.

By the way disclaimer here. I am in no way saying that I have any idea what you must go through in Iraq. I mean at least in the US atheism is protected by law.

@Kronos101 in North Carolina an atheist cannot hold elected office.

Particularly where i live everyone is so seperated its really diverse but when relgious groups try to force there religion onto you specifically islam and call us everything under the sun for not wanting to surrender to that religon it really starts the hatred going between many groups of people i don't hate anyone but the shit that goes on and the fear of going to specific parts because of the sharia law patrols just scares me a lot and i give you a lot of respect and credit for standing up to religon

thank you , I do appreciate your support

Haneen there is religious oppression in the US but I don;t think it comes anywhere close to what women have to deal with in Muslim countries. I see many posts like yours on this page and sometimes fear that this may cause you trouble. I wish you the best

I am stuck with the tyrannical oppressive history of Christianity looming over my head constantly. As an African American, I face the truth of Christianity every time I see an African Christian or meet with the one I'm reminded of the legacy of Christian slavery each time. The brutality and the mass brainwashing I'm reminded of when I speak to family members and neighbors makes me many times uncomfortable around the people I used to feel solidarity with.

African society and people always reminds me with my own society and family , same ideas and behavior

Where I live in the US is consider part of the "bible belt", a very religious swath of the nation in other words, mostly southern Baptist Christians in my area but like most other religious folk they have stigmatized non-believers as being morally bankrupt heathens. I won't pretend to understand what it is you face on a day to day basis, but for me and where I am if you treat others with respect and kindness, speak with concise eloquence, and do good by others despite their beliefs it takes a feat of metal gymnastics for them to vilify you based on the preconceived notion they have of atheists once they find out you are not of their faith or any faith at all. How about you, what are some of the challenges you have faced where you are? I am sure my example is laughable in comparison because despite the peppering of the fanatically religious throughout, we are still a rather open minded nation.

Hiding the fact that I don't believe is in itself hard , seeing a 13 years old girl getting married and I have to act like this is normal and be happy is killing me .. all the streets and the people is showing great deal of religion , in Iraq people get killed for their religion within the religion itself they are fighting so saying I have no religion is way worse so I keep my mouth shut but being a women itself is horrible the harasment and the idea that I must accept that man is way better than me and has more rights than I do is the part that i can't handle

We atheists keep shouting but fools won't listen. They are happy fools.

I wish I can shout

I personally believe that the Muslim religion is full of shit but it is equally important as the Jewish and Christian religion. I believe that every religion and I will include the buddist in this has more wrong than they do have right but that we can learn by the good that is done and taught by them.

Yeah I believe that too

When I came otu as atheist, my family, or at lest tht part tht was still religious, pretty much limited contacts. Socially, religious persons will either try to convert you or completely ignore (shun) you.

I hope they ignore that would be easy

Follow what you believe in your heart is true. It's better than living a lie and maybe you can find someone who will listen and share your feelings.isnt that what we are all looking for is someone to think we're important.

I do try my best to do so

f you are atheist and you live in Islamic society.
this is my advise:

• don't try to change the society.
    try focus on yourself on your future, study, work, family ....
    I know the religions are stupid but, you should unfollow all atheist page in facebook , youtube ........
    These pages are charging you with anger at the Islamic religion and you live in an Islamic society.
    that is exhausting.
    This is my advice and I am applying it

thanx for your advice , I'm trying to cope

It may seem so, but do not be persuaded to alter your life journey. I find it easier to cope with any challenge by associating with liked minded individuals. Join local organizations and civic groups. Good luck

Thank you!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4504
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.