Agnostic.com

4 1

Should drivers with no insurance that is at fault in a accident be jailed ?

I can't tell you how many times someone has hit a vehicle i owned at the time, and did not have insurance. It has happened with nearly every car i have owned, and trust me, i change cars around 2-3 years. I know the laws vary from state to state but in Texas the law requires a minimum of liability insurance.

Last week, my neighbor across the street was backing out of her drive way and backed into my vehicle, which happen to be parked on the street in front of my home. The neighbor actually knocked on my door and admitted the whole thing with insurance proof in hand.

I was in complete shock!

Just when you start to lose confidence in humanity someone
steps up and practice humanity to restore this confidence in our species.

• 1 vote
  • 2 votes
oraldictation 4 Jan 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You can't get plates in Texas without a safety inspection sticker and proof of insurance, so it is pretty rare here. lf they can't pay for the damages, maybe so. Realisticlly they have stolen from you.

Most states have a fund for that financed by penalties the uninsured pay

bobwjr Level 10 Jan 22, 2020

They should be charged and punished in accordance with pertinent laws. It is unfortunate that in our society having a motor vehicle is almost necessary, but if someone can’t afford insurance they really ought not be driving.

There are too many people in jail already. Another form of intervention is required.

@oraldictation There are plenty of other methods in the community for minor offences such as daily reporting, home arrest, probation with its attendant conditions.

I don’t know about USA but in Australia it costs $118,000 per year to keep someone in prison. It’s around $10,000 for a non-custodial sentence.

Driving with no insurance will not put someone in prison for life so they can repeat offend after their six weeks incarceration. Therefore a custodial sentence does not prevent recidivism and costs about $10,000 for no result.

@oraldictation I agree totally but incarceration for such offences solves no problems and costs a ridiculous amount of money.

@oraldictation That’s why we pay politicians. Can’t think why!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:451877
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.