Agnostic.com

4 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Everyone knows that Lord Byron and Percy Bysshe Shelley were friends and both were famous poets.
But what about Byron's daughter, Ada and Shelley's wife, Mary?
The former wrote the world's first computing programme and has a programming language named after her. The latter wrote Frankenstein. Their work is famous, their names are not.

Maria Anna had a good life. True she did not become famous, but fame has its drawbacks. I think we should be wary of stamping the Mozarts with our own values. In that she was not jealous of her younger brother’s success, I will not feel jealousy on her behalf.

[historyanswers.co.uk]

But apparently she did give up music, which is ridiculous.

@Tomfoolery33 She didn’t pursue music as a profession but according to the link above, she played and composed throughout her life, sometimes in partnership with her brother.

She seems to have been a very admirable person who lived a good life.

Here is a thought. Mozart died at about 34 I think. He has a massive output for 29 years of composing.

This includes 40 symphonies around 20 musical plays and operas along with the hundreds of other pieces.

What if the Mozart catalogue is actually the pair of them. The logistics would make more sense.

I often wondered about W. Wordsworth the romantic poet and his sister, they had an almost incestuous relationship, and everyone said that his poems took a sudden plunge downhill after her death. That has always been put down to grief and depression, but I sometimes wonder if there may not have been a more direct cause. Just thinking out loud.

@Fernapple I’ve thought similarly but thought better of vocalising in certain circles!

Many women had to hide behind a male nom de plume for their work to be recognised.

Yes, but she didn't even get to do that.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:458473
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.