Agnostic.com

8 5

LINK Emma Watson says she's 'self-partnered'. Here's what that means — and why it's not a bad idea

I know exactly what she means. This is a better explanation.

Self-Partnered

What does that mean, exactly? Carla Marie Manly, a clinical psychologist based in California sees merit in the idea. Manly describes the relationship status this way: "self-partnering focuses on the ideal of being happy and complete as a solo individual. A self-partnered person would feel whole and fulfilled within the self and does not feel compelled to seek fulfillment through having another person as a partner." That doesn't necessarily mean a self-partnered person doesn't date or never hopes to get married someday. It's that they're taking the time to know themselves first. "To be truly self-partnered, one must often invest a great deal of time and energy on personal development," says Manly.

ballou 8 Feb 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

At 66, I'm happy being single. I love hiking, friendships, volunteering and being in charge of my life. I have fun every day.

I don't want to get married or live with a man. Men are too much work. My female friends are sick of their husbands.

With online dating, I met 16 middle-aged men who never learned to cook. These man-childs wanted a mommy to take care of them- doing all of the meal planning, cooking and housework- and great sex. No, thanks. Everyone loves the magic words, "Dinner is served."

In his book, I'll Mature When I'm Dead, Dave Barry wrote:

"My wife believes that men tend to have insanely high physical standards regarding the kind of woman they're willing to settle for. She notes than a middle-aged man can have tarantula-grade nose hair, body odor that can cause migrating geese to change course, and enough spare tissue to form a whole, new, middle-aged man, but this man still believes that he is physically-qualified to date Scarlett Johansson.

"What's wrong with these men?" my wife asks purely rhetorically. "Don't they have mirrors?"

Totally baffling! I see it a lot.

You're single, but you still get to experience intimacy and sex when you choose. If that choice was available to everyone I think most of us would choose it.

After reading a bunch of these comments, it seems that being "single" is not the same as being "alone" - at least for many of you. And I know from reading posts from many of you who describe yourselves as "single", that you also have some intimacy, and some sex, with others. I'm struggling to wrap my head around this.

It has always been my experience that to find someone who is willing to be intimate with me, I am expected to forfeit my privacy, my independence, my time, my freedom.

How is it that so many of you are (apparently) not subject to those restrictions? Am I missing something?

Ok. Everyone is different and what they want is different. But yes, if you want someone else in your life those 4 things are going to change, to a lesser greater extent depending on the relationship that you cobble together with the person you choose to be intimate or have sex with.
Even fwb need some emotional support, generally 🙂

Nobody is getting control of the remote or my money!

@girlwithsmiles I expect to share all 4 of those things,. But my experience is that I have to relinquish 100% of each. Maybe things have changed since 1998.

@BitFlipper Sounds like something worth looking into, have you ever done any assertiveness training or non violent communication, everything seems to be on YouTube these days, which is great. I went out with my friends at work on Friday and spent the rest of the weekend with my partner. We spent some of that time with his family. I was happy with all of it. I’m pretty sure he was too. But we discussed our plans in the week.
I’d be interested to learn about your experience, but perhaps it’s something for a Counsellor or someone at a local men’s group. Sorry.

She's young and beautiful. She has plenty of time. For those of us who are neither young nor beautiful, self-partnering sounds like another name for growing old alone.

If seen or put that way, sure, why not? What’s wrong with that? I don’t fear that. I’d much rather grow old alone than be with a human who doesn’t respect and doesn’t reciprocate..

@ForeignNata there are more than just those 2 options: growing old alone or being with a disrespectful partner.

@BitFlipper I don’t get your point, pls explain

@ForeignNata You listed two options for your future:
#1 growing old alone
#2 being with a partner who doesn't respect or reciprocate

My point is that there are more options available to you. You could, for example, choose to be with a partner who respects you and reciprocates. You probably already know that but discounted it due to frustration. For myself, I'm growing old alone while I continue to look for someone who can tolerate my company - my requirements are lower out of necessity.

New title perhaps, but not a new concept. Making the most of who you are. YOU - as you are !

Acceptance. Independence. Growth. Self learning. Self love. Good stuff !

Excellent thought be happy with yourself first then see what happens . A partner should compliment you and vice versa , each becoming a better whole and thinking about the other first

bobwjr Level 10 Feb 19, 2020

I agree 100%!

@Bobwjr

Did you mean "complement"?

@LiterateHiker Another English major, 🤷🏼♀️😇🤓👌😉

I think that describes me to a T! I’m happily un-partnered ...or self-partnered if that is the current description. I was once happily married ...or partnered, but life changes and I’ve found a new happiness and contentment in being wholly in charge of my own life.

This is great! I am single, and I am not unhappy at all. I don't feel unfulfilled at all. It would be lovely to have someone in my life again, some day. But if not, I am whole just as I am. And I am not saying this is easy. It is not. I work hard to have a fulfilling life and it has paid off. If I meet someone it would be the icing on the cake so to speak, not the cake itself.

That's a good way of 'splaining it, Lucy! 😉

You are correct and you would be the icing on the cake intelligent attractive good heart and don't settle for anything but someone who compliments you and you them

@bobwjr Awe! Thank you! You are correct! No settling!

As a youngster I made that decision. I had no one to depend on. It was the only way.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:461513
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.