Agnostic.com

7 0

Who or what created the covid-19 virus?

Who or what created the covid-10 virus or more recently known as the coronavirus that has killed more than 2,300 people? Could the fatalities exceed 5000+ ?

RusselHappy 7 Feb 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The virus is known to be an RNA virus. RNA viruses commonly mutate more frequently than DNA viruses, which helps explain how the new disease arose; basically, the virus changed from one that does not infect humans to one that does. It's similar to the common cold and to influenza, which are also known to mutate frequently. Some viruses adapt and others do not; Polio and smallpox don't adapt much and are therefore not so hard to control. This virus might be much more adaptable, and seems to be rather easily spread. It also can survive for some time on surfaces like countertops, which enables it to spread. It also has a relatively long and variable latency period, so it can spread insidiously.
This one might be here to stay.

No one knows at this point, but animal viruses jumping to humans is fairly common, and vice versa. Baring evidence to the contrary, that's easily the most likely source. I suspect a pandemic is inevitable at this point, too many failed states and poverty ridden states with no ability to contain an epidemic. The death toll could easily top 5,000 globally, could be in the 6 figures or more by the time its done.

Trump did it!

Rapid mutation & fertile "soil", like every other "plague", Black Death, Flu epidemics, Etc. Etc. Etc....

Animal to human cross infections has happened before

bobwjr Level 10 Feb 24, 2020

You make it sound like you think it was manufactured in China, like most everything else! It wasn’t of course, because viruses are not manmade, but are agents that need living cells to replicate in animals and plants. They are clever little buggers and can mutate and evolve into new strains, that’s why we keep hearing of new ones. Each year the influenza virus needs a different vaccine because it has evolved into a different strain, and as @Matias has already pointed out, countless thousands of people die of the ‘flu annually, despite there being a vaccine available.

@Matias Yes..they offer it here to all those over 65 and I always take it. I’ve never had the ‘flu, although my mother did at about my age and it left her deaf in one ear.

As @Matias says, good old-fashioned evolution by natural selection.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:462602
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.