Agnostic.com

12 2

Who here is a vegetarian or vegan? Why do you think there are so many atheist who are?

I am a vegetarian and feel like a lot of Atheist are vegetarians. I want to know if it is because you feel like you have a closer relationship to animals as an atheist/agnostic(my thinking) or another reason that has nothing to do with being an atheist. I think if you think evolution a real you feel more of a connection to animals and you think of them as friends more than objects.

Saramarie 4 Nov 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So 47% of vegetarians are nonreligious in comparison to 20-25% of the population being nonreligious. (Old data though so it could have changed)[veganbits.com]

I'm not sure if that's my reason or not. I might have eventually become one simply because of time spent in agriculture and learning of the animal cruelty behind meat and milk and eggs. I do think there is something to the thinking process. My daughter is gifted and she's been vegetarian since she was four and recently went completely vegan. She's also been an Atheist longer than me. She's also only ten. 😀

I’m veganish. As far as Christianity goes, the Old Testament demanded animal sacrifices, not only that, but after Noah gets of the ark the Bible says the animals are given to man as a source of food. So I think it’s another case in which fundamentalist religion condones barbarism.

So funny you should mention this. My kids told me their grandmother lectured them on this when she found out at Thanksgiving that my daughter is now a vegan. They were all pretty creeped out, and the boys aren't even vegetarian.

today at the family meal i will have no turkey

I'm a long time vegetarian-almost-vegan. I love animals, but not just the fluffy, cute ones - all of 'em. So it was easy for me to make the choice not to support an industry that causes animals a great deal of suffering. The health benefits are a bonus.

All that said, I'm not sure there is a correlation between being an atheist and non-meat eater ?

I am really close. Plantbased eater who eats free range eggs, honey and occassional cheese products (raw and organic)

I was a vegetarian for a while. I became vegetarian when i had leukemia as part of my wanting to be healthier. It didn't relate to my beign an atheist at all.

I could see that there may be a possible correlation though. Atheists tend to think for themselves and pay attention, which makes them generally more empathetic, I can see atheists becoming vegetarian out of empathy for the sufferign the animals (raised for fodd) have to go through.

By contrast religious person who let others think for them and tell them what to do, are not as in touch with themselves. They ar emore concerned about appearances than they are in empathizing.

I am not sayign the above is true, but I am saying I can see that it might be true. I t is just supposition based on my own observations.

What ever gave you the idea that there is any difference regarding eating habits among atheists? From my experience, the cross section of atheists compared to believers in terms of almost all characteristics is pretty uniform. We differ in beliefs, not in palates.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to partake of a large baked potato (crispy skin) smothered in a load of sour cream sprinkled liberally with chives. With that there will be a large salad with cucumbers, lettuce, tomatoes, diced red onion, and bean sprouts, all floating in luscious real roquefort cheese dressing. Oh, and a 10oz. fillet mignon, medium rare, wrapped in bacon, and covered with a rich mushroom sauce. Bon apetit....

yeah I've never heard of atheist being vegetarians, many more are Ethitarians eating more based in regards to free range, carbon neutral, and for the uneducated, organic.

We're omnivores, we eat animals. Quite frankly, I don't understand vegetarians, and especially not vegans. Granted, I will only eat free range products i.e those that come from animals who've been allowed to roam free instead of being cooped up in sheds, but that's mostly because they taste better.

I am not a vegetarian. And understanding evolution helped me to realise that mankind is another animal species on earth and we share the planet with other beings.

Also I think that when mankind evolved they hunted small animals and ate them. As what they call The laws of the Jungle.

So I believe what you eat or doesn't depends on personal interest only , it doesn't matter whether you are atheist or not.

I'm getting there but under certain social situations it's harder to abstain, for me. But there are several reasons that motivated me to do so. My health, my love for animals and above all, a direct level of personal responsibility towards being a steward of the environment. Being Atheist I think compels us more so because we realize that we have one Earth and no other backup options, as of yet. So why would I want to destroy this place without a back up option and force others to deal with the mess? I wouldn't...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4643
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.