Agnostic.com

7 6

Why are you a Humanist?

Someone asked me today “Are you religious?” My response was “No, I am a Humanist” Then they asked “Why is that?” My response:

1. It’s the one philosophical and ethical stance that can unify and better the whole of humanity.
  2. It gives my life the most value possible and will affect countless generations to come.
  3. Plain and simple… it’s the right thing to do.

Then they asked “Well… what exactly is a Humanist? I said “Look it up, I’ll be your friend but I’m not your fuckin’ dictionary.”

Van_O 5 Nov 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't understand why humans serving many religions aren't more humane...instead mortal men wrote what they believed and told the masses if you don't have "faith"you'll surely go to hell....they are the arbitrators of fear. I am humanist because as a 30 year nurse, humanity comes with the territory, if you're good...more good comes from being humane than from fear of damnation

I couldn't agree more with you. HUGE SPOT ON

Being a humanist to me is to NOT divide groups of people set labels on them and assign a value. A humanist sees all humanity as equals with the same basic rights and opportunities. Do No Harm. I agree with the other comments here, EDUCATION IS KEY.

Betty Level 8 Nov 22, 2017

Because I’m human? Really, I don’t believe in good or bad. I believe in potential. Our species has great potential for cruelty and kindness, depravity and illumination. But I’ve seen that when someone is educated and allowed to think openly, they tend to make decisions that display discretion and awareness of possible outcomes. That gives me hope. Education is the key.

because I have no other choice I hate to have 'faith' in anything, and humanity has proven time and again to not be worthy of faith.

But I find solace in an understanding of the universe, and with no other known entities being capable of learning even the basics. our only hope is that humanity can overcome its shortcomings to survive beyond earth.

Because there is no hatred in humanism.

To care for a person that we don't know.
To work for the betterment of the society.

I was a Humanist but, I am rapidly beginning to think that the planet might be better off without humans.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4657
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.