Agnostic.com

5 11

You were right. Mr. Email My Friend was a scammer.

Remember my last post?

He asked me to email his friend, sight unseen. A scam?

In response to my reporting the scammer, today I received this letter from Fitness Singles customer service:

Hello Fitness Singles Member,

Thank you for your report. We are aware of this profile's activity and we have removed it and quarantined it for sending out potentially dangerous spam. This had recently been a legitimate profile but, unfortunately, this criminal third-party somehow obtained the original subscriber's password and used it to simply login to the profile, take it over (by altering the original email address and changing the password, thus locking out the real owner) and then using the profile to send hundreds of these nefarious messages to our members. We're very sorry for this incident and any concern it may have caused.

We hope it almost goes without saying that you should NOT make contact with this fictitious party using the email address that is contained in the message. If you already have, simply cease all contact immediately. This is a very common scam operation that has recently been trending on all dating sites. These kinds of ploys are always scams and the story presented in their message to you is always a hoax.

Thank you again for reporting this incident to us and for your patience dealing with it. We're doing all we can to prevent and stop these attacks. Unfortunately, if members do not practice proper password protections, this is what can result (and unfortunately, there is little we can practically do about it--because the scammers are simply logging in to a profile, which is a normal, everyday occurrence that raises no red flags; this is not a "hack", by the way).

Please remember that Fitness Singles will never ask you for your password (although you must enter a password when you login to our or any website, using normal login procedures). You should never provide a password to any entity via an email or any other method and you should never be asked by a business to supply a password (reputable businesses will not ask you for your password, they may have you reset it instead). If you are asked to supply it, beyond normal login, it is almost assuredly a scam.

Thank you for your vigilance and for always observing best practices when it comes to your online security.

Sincerely,

Nelson
Fitness Singles Customer Support

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thanks for letting us know. 🙂

Thanks for updating us and reporting the scammer ,Hopefully the more this is done and the quicker they act on it ,hopefully it will help decrease the scamming a bit

It pays to be suspicious online!

That's great! Good work...

Definitely block him and friend

@bobwjr

His profile was banned.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:468452
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.