Agnostic.com

6 0

Why do people think that the Bible is and has the only source of "truth"? What is truth exactly?

LoveUrself33 3 Nov 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

truth is what you've seen with your own two eyes [ in person]

I would say truth is backed up with tangible proof. To me truth isn't based on "but I feel it in my heart that god is real". Ummmm nope, your feelings are not proof.

If you go into a bookstore you may find a section called 'Bibles', and the reason is because there is no actual one Bible. It's actually a lot worse than that, not only is there disagreement over which books should be included, but an English version isn't really a translation but an interpretation.

I've known people learning New Testament Greek or Hebrew but if it made unambiguous sense in the ancient language it would be possible to make accurate English versions, but it isn't because there are generally a number of words in English you could translate the ancient words into, basically nobody can be sure what they actually mean because the ancient words had multiple meanings depending on context.

You could still sort the mess out except Bible 'translations' are funded by particular denominations and made to give their version, hence the 'translations' are called 'versions'

It seems pretty clear what some parts mean but a lot of any bible is consists of educated guesses and a few really stupid guesses too just because it's always been translated that way before.

Those that do want it to be because it’s their method. The same can be said for the Koran.

Philosophy is the answer. It took me, literally, decades to figure that out. Religion of any sort is NOT the answer that most people are searching for. Specifically, philosophy teaches you how to think, whereas religion pretends it has the answers. Big difference.

This is my first time on any type of commentary website and it's been an eye opener, also a time sponge ! What I wanted to say is that I just had a conversation like your post yesterday. A dear sweet friend of mine woke up at 5 AM because God had told her I needed these two giant religious books that she had on a shelf. What prompted the whole thing is that she's had a re-awakening of her faith, has met a man she likes and respects and has high hopes for the future although they haven't actually gone out on a date yet. When she asked him if he was a Christian (bad move!) he said he was agnostic and she didn't know what that meant. I've always been her listener, so after hearing her tale, I said that I am agnostic but almost an atheist. Long story I won't go into, but she asked how I became agnostic, I said it has taken me my entire life to get to this point. How? By doing lots of reading about all kinds of things, especially philosophy. Also by studying other religions, history, biographies, cultures, myths, creation legends etc. I started questioning when I was around 10 or 12. My friend has never been a reader, so I can't possibly give her a crash course on how I got here because so much goes into who each of us becomes. I have no idea what this point system is about and I am merely exploring the site, but I'm pleased that I haven't run across ridiculous, just-for-shock type of stupid comments. It did start to look like a kind of dating site, though. Guess we feel a need to connect with others who think and feel as we do. I'm secure in my beliefs, but my family and friends have not traveled paths which brought them to the same belief system as I have. They can't understand my political views, so religion, or the lack thereof, is definitely off the table. Sometimes I think the stork dropped me off at the wrong house. Thanks for your comment about philosophy - it was exactly what I needed to hear at the time I needed to hear it.

Any other religious group may say the same about their so-called holy books.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4740
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.