Agnostic.com

5 3

LINK Hospitals Tell Doctors They’ll Be Fired If They Speak Out About Lack of Gear

I agree with the hospital's policy for several reasons:

1. A person may be speaking about their departments unique challenges that may not be widespread but they make it seem widespread. They may be in a low priority ward bemoaning not getting masks when they are all being used in a high priority ward for example.

2. Nurses and doctors can only speak to the end line effect... that THEY aren't getting equipment. They can't speak to others getting equipment, their department not being a priority, supply chains being disrupted, etc.

3. Unless something criminal is happening, hospital staff bemoaning the shortage of equipment only deteriorates public faith in hospitals making it less likely they'll come in and get checked out.

4. Even before the pandemic, hospitals have very clear lines of media communication. Violate those laws and that was cause for termination. That was the way before and that is the way now.

TL;DR: if egregious abuses are happening in a hospital, then clearly people need to speak up. But speaking about a lack of equipment that would undercut public confidence in a hospital through no fault of the hospital is not cool and IMO valid grounds for dismissal.

Very curious to hear what other healthcare professionals on our site have to say.

TheMiddleWay 8 Apr 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have mixed emotions about this, and contradictory thoughts as well. Consumer confidence, sadly, is important. (My sentiments about capitalism are for another day.) However, as a consumer, I would not make the leap that those who are requesting PPE are putting the blame at the hospital administration's feet. This is a worldwide pandemic, I would expect supply chains to break down or product to simply run out in the face of such sudden, great need. And, quite frankly, if they weren't asking, people would not be frantically making and donating masks, 3D printing face shield visors, etc.

I understand the rule, I do. But rules like this also prevent unions from forming, inherently supporting the status quo. I think your arguments are solid, but I'm choosing to disagree with you on this one, not because I think you're wrong, but because I happen to be dissatisfied by the status quo.

Full disclosure: I am not nor have I ever been a medical professional, in any sense of the term. Feel free to disregard my opinions at will. 😉

@TheMiddleWay I'm greatly relieved to learn there is a thriving nurses' union, but these corporate rules about media relations exist in most industries, most of which don't have unions, much less thriving ones. I suppose my sentiments about capitalism are on par with my sentiments about corporatism... Although I'm not sure the two terms aren't interchangeable at this point.

As to the status quo... If there isn't massive systemic change by the time this is over, I'm hoping for an all out revolution. Seriously.

I do like to think that the folks who are pumping out homemade masks are exemplifying the best of human nature. I wonder if hospital administrators would have made a plea for aid from the general public, or if consumer confidence would be deemed too important. Of course, as an admitted "non-insider," I really have no way of knowing if handmade masks are even helping.

@TheMiddleWay I appreciate your optimism, but I do not share it. The two party system is working perfectly fine for those two parties. The DNC would rather lose the election than the corporate donors they have. And since they write the rules on how their nominee is chosen, you can bet on Biden taking it, and, sadly, most likely four more years of the clown we've got.

I wish I felt differently. I wouldn't necessarily say I'm a pessimist, maybe a pragmatist?

I have worked with nurses and drs who are easily excitable drama queens, or easily mislead by speculation when hard facts are hard to come by. Add fear and media hype, and viola. All the bad things can and do happen.

True that some hospitals are clearly abusing their workers during this crisis, some are willfully negligent, and some are run by administrative leaders who truly don't understand (truly negligent). That being said, ive never worked at a hospital that didnt explicitly forbid employees to talk to thr media in any professional/ work related capacity. This isnt a new policy.

Add that any employees that feel their life is at abnormal risk, but theyre working anyhow, are probably not going to make good decisions in other areas. Its important for first responders to have a healthy interest in self preservation. If the lose that, theyre no longer safe.

Jobs are always a trade off.

If it's a danger to the public they have a duty to report to protect public safety and Hippocratic oath. It's a moral obligation not taken lightly, the administration generally responds to fiscal health not public health

@TheMiddleWay depends on the hospital your area is good some in southern states will put profit above patient welfare.

@TheMiddleWay try Texas and Florida

I agree.

A person ought not run down their employer to the public except in dire situations, and that after resignation. I know that out of loyalty I wouldn’t do it.

You do know Doctors, Nurses and auxiliary staff are dieing you pillock?
Would you ask a fireman to run in to a burning building wearing only a pair of speedos and a helmet, and threaten to sack him if he complained about it?
If there is a shortage, they have every right to speak out and the administration should not be threatening anyone for doing so, they should be insisting the well being of their staff be considered, not covering up the fact they are not.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:478854
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.