Agnostic.com

7 1

Which religion and culture do you dispise the most and which do you "like " the most? Tell me why.

Almost all religions have cultural baggage added to them. I grew up around predominantly Christians and Jews and surprisingly Sikhs. A Sikh family live down the block from me where I grew up and they were the nicest and most friendly family that I ever met. I also had the misfortune to have run ins with a Muslim family. I won't go into details but me and the neighborhood kids had issues with them which escalated into violence. These things made a lasting impression on me for most of my life.

Chickenwing 5 Apr 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I see it as a mistake to conflate religion with anybody's personal values.

There are good people and there are vile people who identify themselves as Christians.

There are good people and there are vile people who identify themselves as Muslims.

There are good people and there are vile people who identify themselves as atheists.

(And just in case anybody is wondering about that last one, I cite Joseph Stalin.)

I think most religions do much more harm than they do good. Bahaism seems to be less malevolent than most. [bahai.org]

I despise all of the Abrahamic religions. The misery they have created and still do, far outways any good they have done. It isn't even close.

Thanks for this. I was going to post an item but put it off as I didn't think it would garner much interest. Here is an ideal place. This link shows the influence of religion and atheism throughout the world. Many surprises one of which is not all religions are not about a pie-in-the-sky god but rather a social system. Maybe I should post it.

Great video!

I learned some stuff.

The religion I like well enough is defined simply: Religion... pure and faultless is this: helping widows and orphans in need and avoiding worldly corruption. James 1:27

I do not know of a reason to call anything else a religion.

Word Level 8 Apr 17, 2020

I am deeply drawn to Hindu religious philosophy, but I feel neutral toward Indian culture. I try not to make judgments about various cultures—they’re all good.

I once had the good fortune of having Islamic neighbors, and they were great people, warm-hearted, generous and friendly.

For a number of years, in order to break with my Christian background I found it necessary to drum up anger within myself by thinking untrue or exaggerated thoughts. Maybe that came from being uncertain, and needing strength and resolve to stay on the rebellious course. In any event, at this stage I have succeeded in extinguishing the hatred and proceeding with life, with only a casual sideways glance at Christianity.

No one seems to care very much.

Islam for all the obvious reasons.
Christianity a distant second.
Buddhism goes way back and seems the most sophisticated.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:485773
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.