Agnostic.com

7 0

Is atheism an essentially conservative or fundamentally liberal stance?

Green_Chile_Type 6 Apr 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Reality has a liberal bias.

Just look at the makeup of the folks on this site. That says it all.

No

1of5 Level 8 Apr 26, 2020

Dividing up into opposing groups based on political or religious belief (opinion) is an exercise based on blindness. To transcend such shallow behavior patterns should be the goal.

It’s not a political stance. But liberals are more open minded and willing to question religion, and therefore more likely to be atheist than conservatives, who tend to cling to old-fashioned values and ways of living.

Personally, I think conservatism and religiosity seem to go hand in hand. Being highly religious generally makes someone more closed minded, prejudiced, and insular which goes hand-in-hand with conservative ideology.

Unless you were raised atheist, which seems to be pretty rare, at least in the U.S., you have to at least somewhat open-minded and open to new ideas.

I'm sure there are some conservative atheists and I think I may have ran across a few here on Agnostic.com. And I've met some people who are religious but at least somewhat liberal in some of their social and political views.

But, those are just my opinions and personal experiences.

It's not essentially or fundamentally stanced on politics. However, research, such as PEW and others I have read, indicate that the profile of atheists politically and on social and economic issues generally is progressive. I do recall the stats were skewed towards atheists in the US, due to this being the largest surveyed group. But this can only be taken as a suggestive finding, and even though as a progressive atheist I would like to believe it, I wouldn't take too much from it. There are plenty of right wing atheists around.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:489238
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.