Agnostic.com

1 0

I have encountered three thoughtful books that may appeal to those who question the approach of organized religions.
1). Original Blessing by Matthew Fox. A historical and intellectual coverage of "Liberation Theology". It covers Scripture from an allegorical perspective colored by perspectives of mystics from each tradition. It argues that the concept of original sin "Fall/redemption" model has made religion susceptible to secular influence and a proclivity for death. It offers as an alternative that creativity is the main spiritual driver and that everyone should see their life as an art, or creative exercise.
2). I recognize many themes that I have seen in the Gnostic literature and in "The Great Spiritual Migration" by Brian McLaren.
3). Pope Francis' book The Name of God is Mercy touches on many of thee themes as well. As might be expected, Fox, the mystics, the gnostic have all been Branded as heretics. Fox makes an oblique reference that the conflict between the fall/redemption model and the creation model caused the split with the Orthodox Church. I recall a brief conversation with the Abbot of an Orthodox community in Buena Vista who pointedly told me: "The Latin Church split off and then started killing people". Passions run high, but I ind it encouraging that there is the much uncertainty and debate. many of the authors For references are the same I saw my other read as he tried to align his scientific world with the Catholic upbringing he had in his childhood. The Creation Model makes everything work together, and seems powerful to me.

YaAtEeh 4 Apr 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Glad you find comfort/illumination in the lives and thoughts of others!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:489491
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.