Agnostic.com

4 2

The older I get the more intolerant I become of religious imbeciles. Does anybody else feel the same way?

anglophone 9 May 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

More intolerant - or less tolerant?

Viewed in one way, the two phrases are identical in meaning. Viewed another way, the former carries more emotional clout than the latter (imho).

@anglophone Precisely. The former implies intolerance from the very beginning, the latter tolerance at first.
As an editor I had to be concise yet precise with words.

@Petter Now I understand where you are coming from. Yes, I admit to being careful with my choice of words; I have to be when I write my regular column for the local rag.

@anglophone I have an ancient (78 ) friend in Perth who left Kenya in his mid-twenties to take up teaching in Perth. He and I had many an escapade in our rebellious youth!

@Petter But that's what you do in your youth, isn't it? šŸ˜‰

@anglophone Like painting the Russian Embassy red?

@Petter Well, you could have done something worse and painted it green!

Yes. Youthful, I maintained respect for my elders. Having reached that age & stage, Iā€™ve no respect for those continuing to support myths, no matter how convenient, soothing, or widespread. If a person has experienced the layers of life, their responsibility to those who havenā€™t is to be honest. If they canā€™t be honest, theyā€™ve failed.

Varn Level 8 May 1, 2020

I like the way you put it.

Humans come in many forms. As I get older Iā€™ve learned, not just to tolerate, but to celebrate the lives of my fellow humans.

Each person irrationally thinks that his opinions are correct and that conflicting opinions are incorrect. Rise to a higher perspective and you might find common ground.

I do not think that I can rise to that higher perspective. When I see the harm done in the name of religion, coupled with the harm that was done to me personally as child by a religious fundamentalist, I have cause to oppose those who seek impose the lies of religion onto other people.

@anglophone Iā€™m sorry that you were harmed as a child.

No one should try to push their religious opinions on other people, pro or con.

@WilliamFleming Thanks for your sympathy and support. šŸ™‚

Just the religious ones? How do you limit yourself to just them?

1of5 Level 8 May 1, 2020

I find it easy to attack the manifest nonsense spouted by God Mobsters. I lack the capability to attack narcissists and psychopaths in general.

@anglophone practice practice practice

@1of5 Yes boss! Yes boss! Yes boss! šŸ˜‰ šŸ˜‰ šŸ˜‰

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:491205
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.