Agnostic.com

4 3

"I did examine myself," he said. "Solitude did increase my perception. But here’s the tricky thing—when I applied my increased perception to myself, I lost my identity. With no audience, no one to perform for, I was just there. There was no need to define myself; I became irrelevant. The moon was the minute hand, the seasons the hour hand. I didn’t even have a name. I never felt lonely. To put it romantically: I was completely free."

[gq.com]

Mitch07102 8 May 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is a really wild story, to me. He did steal, his efforts sacred people, but I'm with those who were willing to have him go back to the woods, with a supply chain, as it were.

Lost his identity, he said, and I can believe it, as there was no feedback from anyone by which to define himself. I can appreciate that he felt that he was "just there."

Thanks for posting. Chris's story is compelling, since he became a self-taught survivalist. It's amazing he survived the cold, and poor dental health. I have a premonition we will hear about more hermits, who only want peace, quiet, reflection, and to be alone.

All the world’s not a stage..? Our worth is measured by & against others.? We are stardust ..we are golden… Apparently, all is relative, even nothing 🙂

Varn Level 8 May 8, 2020

FASCINATING! Where is he now? I can't imagine him living anywhere else but the woods...like some kind of predator, stealing what he needs. How'd you find this article?

I read about this some years ago, and recently saw something about it. I admire him in some ways, but he is certainly an outlier.

@Mitch07102 If he'd been supporting himself on his own efforts....I might find him ''admirable in some ways.'' I kept thinking of those old religious hermits who lived on mountain tops, etc....they were willingly supported by the ''godly.'' Luckily, he seems rather a pacifist, doesn't he>

"Fascinating" works for me!

@BirdMan1 Right. I've been thinking about him all afternoon. He's so cut off....so odd for a member of our social species.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:493906
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.