Agnostic.com

8 0

Anyone else study Buddhism for the philosophy? I find the principles behind it extremely pragmatic and livable.

OpposingOpposum 9 Nov 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes. My mistake. I'm onto "Buddhist philosophy" now. It's good but the prose is challenging. Learning lots of new words. ????

I feel you can be Buddhist and still be secular. the Buddhist dogma can change with advances in human knowledge which is evidence of intellectual maturity.

Yes, I do too. Can I suggest a book? "Tao of Leadership" by John Heider. It's his interpretation of the Tao Te Ching. The best interpretation I've read. Specifically Buddhist? No, but wonderfully simple and down to earth, fits right in.

Thanks. Sounds intriguing.

Yes,I think so. I haven't read it but it's on my list now.

Some of the basic principles are useful, yes, but not all.

I wouldnt say I study Buddhism but I do like its ideals. I've always been one to do a good deed if I think it's needed instead of just ignoring someone. I'm still a bit of an a hole through.

As a fellow asshole,I salute you.

Oh yes. The teachings of Buddha are great guidelines.

I have read stories about Buddha.
Can you suggest some books to read about his teachings???

I have read about how he was born and sacrificed everything and went to meditate ad all that stories.
But his teachings I have not read any. Many Buddhist quotes that circulate in the net are not actually his words.

So can you suggest some books?

I've been reading "Buddhist thought and principles" and someone else suggested "the Buddhist Atheist". Happy reading!

@blindbird Was that Confessions of Budhist Atheist???

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4947
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.