Agnostic.com

8 15

Climbed up a peak and found an old bronze marker. Surprise!

Two days ago, Karen and I hiked up to a new (to us) peak in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains. At the summit, we found an old, worn, bronze marker embedded in the rock:

"Horse Lake Mountain, 4,670 feet elevation."

We could even see Mt. Rainier (14,411 feet) southwest of Seattle. We didn't know there was a Horse Lake Mountain! Later we found it on a map. There's Horse Lake Road in Wenatchee.

The next day (yesterday), we walked 4.5 miles of trails above Squilchuck State Park in the shade. In the first mile, our legs were hurting; then our legs felt better.

A man's unleashed German Shepard panicked us. Dogs are required to be leashed.

"I know a quick short-cut out of here," Karen said, "Come on." We ran downhill to the car, holding our speed so the dog wouldn't see us as fleeing prey. It didn't run after us. Whew.

Last night, throbbing legs made it hard to fall asleep. "Let your legs recover," I thought, rolling my eyes. I remember lying awake in the tent with throbbing legs and hips on backpacking trips.

Photos by Karen with her I-phone:

1. Yellow Balsomroot flowers frame mountains. From the summit of Horse Lake Mountain.

2. Spring Beauty flower, aptly named.

3. Summit of Horse Lake Mountain.

4. A Trillium with four flowers. They usually have one. We never saw this before.

LiterateHiker 9 May 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Beautiful photos. You are very lucky in many ways, to be able to go walking, here in the UK the lock-down is heavier, we have not even been allowed out for hiking. Envy.

I have a way of dealing with unleashed dogs I encounter while bicycling. If the dog comes closer than the length of my presta pump, the owner is welcome to pick up the animal, dead or alive.

@BitFlipper

What is a presta pump?

@LiterateHiker a tire pump for presta valves. It's pretty much a metal tube with another metal tube inside.

@BitFlipper

Don't need a tire pump while hiking.

@LiterateHiker yes, but I've been attacked by dogs on my bike.

@BitFlipper

Every cyclist I know has been attacked by dogs.

I have been attacked and injured by 8 dogs while hiking and snowshoeing.

@LiterateHiker I have had a number of dogs bark and lunge at me biking or hiking but I have never been bitten by one, nice flower photos!

I find a 10,000 step walk with moderate elevation changes plenty tiring. I have never gotten the concept of pain = good to the point of lying awake with throbbing legs and hips. My wife is more like you -- "it's a good pain" she says. I guess we all experience things differently. For me pleasure = good, pain = bad, end of story pretty much ... although I have learned to push myself to an extent and I'm hardly inert.

What would motivate me, assuming I had enough time away from work and the ability to go at my own pace, would be the hiking in your region. It's not bad here, but I do love mountain vistas. You are fortunate.

Love your adventures,,You always have something interesting,you tow never have a boring hike lol,,beautiful spring pics Thank you

Interesting -story And great pictures

Nice pictures, as always. 😉

Beautiful pictures. I used to do stuff like that.

The marker is probably a USGS triangulation station.

@WilliamFleming

It was a very old marker. Looked something like this.

Flowers are pretty and all but where is the photo of the surveyors marker?

@Mark013

The sun was shining. I took a picture of the bronze marker. The photo didn't turn out due to reflected glare.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:495122
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.