Agnostic.com

8 20

Today's hike: flowers, snow and useless spears.

"Will there be snow?" Bob asked. "No," I replied, "But I don't know where Karen wants to hike."

Today Karen, Bob and I hiked to 6,000 feet elevation. We did a big loop totaling 7.2 miles with over 2,000 feet of elevation gain. We scrambled up a little-used, very steep trail (we call those "fisherman's trails" ) to see if we could reach Lake Marion from a different direction. Exploring, really. Karen was leading.

As we got higher, we wound up post-holing in deep snow. Sorry, Bob.

"My new hiking poles are useless spears!" I called to Karen. "Here, take one of my poles with snow baskets," she replied. Much safer.

"Where's Lake Marion?" I asked Karen, puzzled. "It's through these woods," she replied. Last year I gave Karen a trail name: Compass. Hello, Lake Marion. Bravo, Karen!

I used every piece of clothing in my pack:

1. Down jacket and neck warmer during lunch. We sat on cold rocks at Lake Marion. Brrr! For warmth, I wrapped my legs with my fleece jacket. Love my insulated sit-upon.

2. Raincoat during a 10-minute rain squall. Mountain weather changes on a dime.

3. Long-sleeved shirt and fleece jacket for hiking after the rain stopped.

Had a spare shirt in my pack. Wore lighter clothes on the ascent and didn't get sweaty. For once, I didn't need to change into a dry shirt at the top. A revelation. Slow learner.

Ordered snow baskets for my hiking poles when I got home.

Photos:

1. Lake Clara, 6,000 feet. "Can your camera catch the raindrops?" Karen asked.

2. Yellow Glacier Lilies, the first Spring flower to bloom in the mountains.

3. Tweedy's Lewisia begins blooming. Extremely rare, it only grows in North Central WA at certain elevations and exposures. Snow just melted.

4. Two years ago, Mission Ridge Ski Area had a massive avalance/landslide that destroyed a ski run and a road. Still rebuilding.

5. Tweedy's Lewisia in full bloom looks like Hawaii. May 2019. My favorite wildflower.

LiterateHiker 9 May 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What a glorious adventure, and I love those little Lewisias!

@tinkercreek

"Are you going up there?" I ask Karen. The prettiest colors are always at the top, reaching for the sun. "I'll spot you."

I scramble up but stop when it gets dangerous. Not willing to break my neck for a photo.

Tweedy's Lewisia- named by Professor Tweedy who discovered them- grow on rocky cliffs, facing east around 4,000 feet elevation, only in North Central Washington. They are succulents, as you can see from the thick leaves.

@LiterateHiker Wow, what a beautiful gift for climbing so high! I'l bet the good professor was rather excited over his find, they are so lovely!

I get nostalgic every time I read about your exploits, keep it up.

Beautiful pictures and storytelling ! I so look forward to your adventures !

Ohub Level 7 May 15, 2020

@Ohub

Thank you so much. Half Irish, I'm a born storyteller.

Sounds like a good adventure. Great pics!!

Bob? Isn't he Mr Unprepared?

1of5 Level 8 May 15, 2020

@1of5

Yup. Gave Bob a list of what to bring. He forgot his hiking poles.

On the trail, Bob was good-natured, kind and a great conversationalist. Karen enjoyed him tremendously.

He ignored me. Apparently Bob is still mad. He hasn't been wearing a mask in public during the pandemic. Appalled, I said people who refuse to wear a mask are selfish and irresponsible.

So, I gave him two cloth masks made by my 84-year-old friend, Billie, who has sewed 500 masks for Confluence Health where Bob works.

The irony doesn't escape me. As a nurse, he should know better.

@LiterateHiker sounds like Bob's that hiking buddy that if you don't go rescue him someday, you'll know someone who has. Pack extra, but you know that already.

Nurses are a different breed.

I'm glad to see your post. I redid my Agnostic.com switches a day or two ago and was afraid you'd fallen off my feed. Lol.
Nice pictures -- I wore shorts myself today even though we're at 5000 ft. It'll be a few months before we see snow again. Ha, ha I guess.

Glad to Read you are Back on the Trail!!!!

@GipsyOfNewSpain

Actually, this was my third hike this week with Karen.

@LiterateHiker You Go Girl.... Show us the Way!!!!

Another terrific hike for you ,Loved your pics

@RoyMillar

Thank you, Roy!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:496355
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.