Agnostic.com

5 4

Many people accuse Atheists as being “Devil worshipers or evil doers.” Exhibit A, If you believe in god - as scripture will have it, you must therefore believe in satan. Making you (the theist) a satanist by definition! Atheism unlike religion isn’t a belief system. Rather, atheism is a lack of belief. It’s merely a dismissal of the claim that there is a god or gods based on the lack of empirical evidence.

NakedTruthRebel 4 May 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Christian pooh pooh. All atheist worship Satan even if they don't know it. These type of statements are meant to scare people, alienate non-believers, and strenghten Christian positions in culture and politics. It actually has worked since the 80's Satanic Panic period.

Ummmm, no, even die-hard evangelists seldom if ever do that....maybe one of their preachers now & then your knowledge of scripture is shaky at best...."satan"?

Which scripture are you referring to?

@NakedTruth exactly, there isn't any.....

Atheism is a BELIEF IN the NON-existence of god, so it's a belief system.
BUT it's also a BELIEF IN the NON-existence of Satan.
Anyway a true God wouldn't create a Satan.

I'll respect your opinion. But I don't see it that way. There are many belief systems - like Muslims, Christians and Jews just to name the mains ones. If I don't subscribe to any of those systems and no other system, my lack of belief cannot be a belief system.

@Omnedon how can a lack of belief in a system constitute a belief system? Atheism is the rejection of belief systems, no?

@Omnedon I disagree because a belief system is a central personal core belief, incorporating everything you've taken in from your five senses since you were born. Atheism is a central core orientation to the world. That's what a belief system is. A lack of belief in a 'god' or gods IS a very core belief, whether you care or not.
Agnosticism, incorporating the same inputs into a different matrix, SUSPENDS belief. I can detect certain basic viewpoints, like accountability for one's actions (not just being nice because you're a swell human being) and thinking there IS an explanation for it all... That's something anyway, but I don't see how that fits into a belief or unbelief in 'god.' it might have nothing to do with that.

@NakedTruth Why isn't a firm rejection of a belief system in ITSELF a belief system?
It isn't just the rejection itself, as if it exists in bold relief all by itself, but includes all other aspects of your orientation toward life.
Name anything which would have been colored by your religious beliefs, and it's so ALSO colored by your non-religious ones.

@Omnedon It colors every aspect of your life in the same exact way.

@Omnedon Whatever.

I have never heard atheists called devil worshipers. It's theists who also believe in the Devil and other nonsense. Atheists are called terrible people, immoral, untrustworthy, and host of other names, but anyone who thinks a rejection of deities involves a belief in Satanism or alike is too stupid for words. Usually I hear that we don't believe in 'anything' which is also wrong and stupid. I have also asked believers how is it that an omnipotent and omniscient god is unable to vanquish a Satan, or even how could such an being exist under such a god, and I've yet to hear an answer that makes any sense. (no surprise there). By believing in the devil or satan they believe in a flawed god. Logic. Gets you every time.

Wow an oppertinity to at least possibly educate you! Actually i know ypu are aware of the culture in the U.S. so I jest. But it is worth mentioning for others that American Christians are taught that anything that is not Christian is Satanic. It is expected that atheist and witches are Satinist. The irony is neither believe in Satan and thus have no reason to worship that which does not exist. The answer here is that Atheist and witches are Satinist and just don't know it. Really.

@DavidLaDeau strange country indeed! Most peculiar Mama. (With apologies to John Lennon's song).

An atheist wouldn't likely believe in any characters in the bible any more than the characters in the myriad mythologies that came before it. If a person was to go against god and "worship" the devil, there must be a belief in that god in order to find the god disagreeable and the devil to be a better choice.

If a person believes in god, and likely also the devil, but worships one and detests the other, it's all from the same belief system.

If an atheist doesn't believe in any gods or supernatural characters from religious myths, then there isn't any way the atheist should be considered a "devil worshipper" any more than a worshipper of Zeus or Odin.

An atheist can believe in being good without belief in gods and devils.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:497017
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.