Agnostic.com

8 2

Where are all the obese people on the sixties, what has changed!

Slava3 7 May 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes… when obesity was a disgrace..

Varn Level 8 May 19, 2020

Portion sizes are up over 50% since then.

Cheap fast food and diet cola’s!!!

Lack of a actual livable wage, plus too many working two or more jobs to almost make ends meet!!!

Obesity is a Slow planned Genocide which makes money huge sums for the pharmaceutical industry and the never cure you medical industry!!!

Obesity is the biggest contributor to early death complications then add Covin19 you have a stew of death!!!

There were certainly many fewer obese people then, But also they did not put on swim suits and go to the beach, in those days you hid your fat if you had it.

Fast food.

The addition of high fructose corn syrup has a very interesting correlation. I wish I could remember where I saw that chart. But you can pretty much tie it too availability of simple sugers.

Coming from a guy who is trying to stop drinking pop. Yay hipocracy.

@MissKathleen knowing I need to stop but never managed the self control.

I've been watching a lot of archival street and city footage on YouTube, some of it going back to the early 20th century. Speed corrected, digitally enhanced, and stabilized. Much of it is amazing; as close to a time machine as we are likely to see. Two things always strike me. First, people are formally dressed, just people swarming in cities going about their business. Men in suits, women in formal dresses. Secondly, people are thin. Some stout folk, but overwhelmingly people's body shapes and size are nowhere near obese. It's amazingly to me, compared to now. The food industry, the rampant use of food chemicals, fast food, absurd sized meals, and the rest in the post WW2 world have a lot to answer for. It started particularly from the 1960s with mass fast food and the food chemical industry. I think it is shocking. I expect current generations will die younger or live on medicines from a much earlier age than previously. The West is already in a state of decline. This will be another factor, in my opinion.

The medical sciences can not be understated. We are living much longer while feeding ourselves almost pure poison! The diet of the sixties simply lacked processed foods, added sugars of all kinds and, preservatives. We simply ate much more healthy until rock and roll and mega churches.(corrilation?)
I have put myself in what I call the farm or grandmas diet several times. Simply no processed foods, fresh farm goods and juices, itnis amazing how quickly it changes the body.

@DavidLaDeau well I agree but linking rock and roll and mega churches to poor diets? Surely you jest, sir? The 60s and beyond mobile lifestyle, more working mothers due to Capitalism's demands and women role change, less home cooked food, a Macdonalds on every corner, and marketing proclaiming quick plastic nutritionless food as the cool thing to eat... These are some of the reasons.

Fast food and huge portions in restaurants?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:497353
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.