Agnostic.com

5 3

I was thinking about my deconversion from Christianity 3 years ago and how I could make an argument to other Christians to help them wake up. I thought about the many inconsistencies and contradictions to show them and the historical evidence. Then I thought back to my own process of how I came to believe it was a lie.

None of the evidence that you can present them will matter UNLESS you first convince them hell is not real. As long as a christian believes in hell then they will ignore the evidence and actually reject even hearing it. I can remember myself hearing atheist speak and they would make a good point and I would not listen because I thought it was devil trying to tempt me. I’m ashamed of that now but trying to be honest.

abyers1970 7 May 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You acquired the use of your (not given to you by God) brain.

You overcame your childhood conditioning.

There is no reason to feel ashamed. Those who brainwashed you rely on fear as a weapon of control to control the masses. I am delighted that they failed in your case.

Thank you for sharing your own personal insight.

I don't need to be saved by would-be missionary evangelicals. But neither do they need to be saved by you or me from their religion. Human adults are peers who are entitled to make their own choices about what is important.

To everyone who needs the rest of the world to agree with them I'd say, first find something that satisfies you enough that you don't need others to make the same choice. Then just let it go.

what would be the point to an eternal punishment? why bother keeping those souls around at all? would a god of love torment a soul for no reason, forever? hell makes no sense. to be honest even heaven sounds like a drag.

When I had children, I really started questioning hell. I just couldn’t imagine having children and if they didn’t do exactly what I said then I would send them to the most unimaginable torture. No matter how bad my kids hurt me I would always want the best for them and no matter how bad they acted I would always feel like I was responsible for it. The idea of tormenting then or that even being a possibility is something I cannot fathom. If my kids were gay, I can’t imagine not loving them or shunning them. A parent should love their kids unconditionally

This is a good and interesting point. I can't say that I gave it too much thought before because I never believed in hell to begin with. (Not all Christian churches have a belief in hell. Mine didn't, and if I recall correctly, Jehovah's witnesses don't either.)

It's easy to imagine, though, that a fear of hell would override any other arguments.

I come from a Southern Baptist background to where fear Of hell is installed at a very early age.

@abyers1970 so how did you banish the fear of hell?

@AmyTheBruce It is a long story. I had open heart surgery 4 years ago. At the time, my ex wife was in drug rehab. I had so much anger at her because of drugs, addiction, cheating on me. I went to church and prayed for two years straight that god would help me. It didn’t work. A friend of mine suggested hypnosis. I tried it one time and it helped me more than going to church. So I decided to learn hypnosis on my own. I became good at it and learned how the brain works. One day I found out that a pastor from a church was taking hypnosis classes at place I was. Something just hit me. Religion is nothing but hypnosis. However I wanted to do research just to make sure I was right and not making the wrong decision. I decided to have an open mind and go where the truth led. I read and watched many videos about Christianity. I came to the conclusion that ther was no evidence and everything was bullshit. I had been lied to by people around me and since Christianity wasn’t real neither was hell.

The more I studied with a completely open mind the more I realized it was a scare tactic to control. Much like parents saying that if a kid acts up a Santa Claus won’t come see them at Christmas.

Good point.

Also, it is impossible to persuade a person who bases all their arguments on the Bible.

Without the fear of Hell no one would believe it

I have learned more about the Bible since my deconversion than i knew before. Most Christians just know the good verses and enjoy the fellowship and other events. I think alot of people go to Church not for the preaching or that they believe but its a great way to get to know people

@abyers1970 I agree, and in many cases they are merely following family tradition.
I suppose it’s ok if that’s all they want. I try not to concern myself with their religious lives, ‘cause they are family and I don’t want a rift.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:497468
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.