Agnostic.com

3 5

See the eerie glacier caves carved by Mount St. Helens’s fiery breath
After the 1980 eruption, a glacier formed in the shadows inside the crater. Scientists—and our photographer—have explored its icy depths.

BY CRAIG WELCH
PHOTOGRAPHS BY ERIC GUTH
PUBLISHED MAY 18, 2020

[api.nationalgeographic.com]

t1nick 8 May 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Living across the Columbia at the time ..I was never that curious. Generally, wishing there was more distance between ‘us’ and that volcano.

Varn Level 8 May 20, 2020

the Columbia River Gorge is one of the prettiest places I've ever been. and they have some pretty decent ice cream at Multnomah Falls.

@hankster ...you and food 😀 Yup, my ol’ backyard.. We’d get stoned at the base of Multnomah Falls, then hike to ‘the bridge’ ..and get stoneder -- maybe even hike to the top - all well past midnight. And yes, the Columbia is magnificent; I miss the PNW ~

@Varn nice! yeah I'm partial to food.

i went on a guided tour of one of these caves. very interesting. it wasn't a cave in the typical sense as much as a lava Passage. bizarre.

Yeah, I toured smaller ones in western NM in the lava fields of El Malpais

@t1nick yeah, the one I was in was not near as Grand as the one in the photograph, but bizarre enough i suppose. I don't remember if it was from Mount Saint Helens but it was in that vicinity. I do remember there was a restaurant nearby that had a 5 berry pie that was delicious...lol.

@hankster

Sounds delicious. Lol

That's awesome!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:497682
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.