Agnostic.com

2 2

Hi everyone!

I have completed ‘The Perils of Freemium Gaming’ series and all five episodes (is that the right word for serialised articles?) are now up and ready for viewing at Exclusively Games.

Apologies for forgetting to update you all about episodes three and four. I have been tied up recently with the joyous task of submitting self-assessment tax returns (snore) and dealing with multiple cases of plagiarism - people keep copying my work (Grrrr). More details on that to follow BTW.

Anyway, enjoy. Episode five has links to episodes one-through-four for anyone who missed them or needs a recap.

[exclusivelygames.com]

Nomad 6 May 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

To each their own … but between sports, movies, and video games ..I’d rather watch grass grow 😉 ...or thunderstorms, leaves emerge, birds bathe, folks pump gas, dandelion seed blow, deer, lightning bugs ..or digital clocks ~

Varn Level 8 May 25, 2020

Good series. I am one of those freeloaders when it comes to these sort of games. I have been playing games on computers since the early '80's and never felt the need to pay (except to buy a complete game) since I could just move on to another game.

Thank you 🙂

Same here, agree 100%. Benefits of age I guess.

Its my kids generation I feel sorry for, since this has been the norm now for some time. The AAA industry has been following suit. Except with them they still expect you pay around $60 / £50 up front. Jim Stirling came up with a good term for these games: 'Fee-to-Pay'. You pay money so that you can pay yet more money.

This one of the reasons I play so few modern games - I refuse point blank to bankroll that method so I vote with my feet. Thankfully I have a 35 year backlog of great games and mods that don't include these monetisation methods to keep me busy 🙂

@Nomad In some cases free to pay and the game cash shop helps keep a game running. I play Elite Dangerous and Guild Wars 2. Both are great games with plenty of updates which are free for those who paid for the full game. The cash shops for cosmetic items like clothing or ship colors I can tolerate but I never spend cash. The money they collect for these items helps keep the game servers running but you can also get items through play if you want. I am more than happy to play running around looking like a hobo and don't care if I look like I am from the poorhouse vs the penthouse.

@Mark013 There are ways to do free-to-play right, its just most devs/publishers in the freemium market choose not to. I can't comment on Guild Wars Two (I don't know enough about it sorry) but ED is a 'proper' game from proper devs. It has season passes but since it it is essentially an MMORPG in space that's ok. ED is probably a good example of how to handle micro transactions and season passes the right way.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:499282
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.