Agnostic.com

3 0

I tend to cry very easily at things I find beautiful, but almost never at things that are "sad", unless the "sad" occurs in a fictional situation. Real life sadness tends to stir my anger, not my sympathy. Can anyone else relate? And what might this mean, if anything? I have my theories, but would love to hear what others have to say.

extantpoet 3 May 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sounds like a personal quirk.

beautiful often will get my waterworks going. might be a painting, might be the love, or loyalty of a pet. generosity of people to one another can do it. sadness is just a bummer but not often a tearjerker.

I find that crying at novels or movies tends to stem from wish fulfillment for a better world or situation rather than actual sadness.
For instance to me having had a poor relationship with my own father, a scene in a film that ALWAYS makes me cry is at the end of "Cool Runnings" When after facing down his father in a prior scene, Junior sees his father in the crowd proudly cheering him on and wearing a team shirt. The expression of pride on Charles Hyatt's face and the plea for his son's forgiveness in his eyes is heart rending.

That makes sense to me. I do feel teary when good things happen because it is such a wonderful thing that many, many people never get to experience.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:499432
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.