Agnostic.com

4 4

We're number one! The United States far leads the world in COVID-19 deaths. [ipsnews.net] And we have people protesting -- trying to reopen prematurely and make the pandemic worse.

Countries around the world are showing us proper responses to the crisis -- if we''d only put aside our petty politics and tribalisms and look.
We need to grit our teeth and do what we have to to get control of this situation. The cost will get higher as time goes on.

From the link:

[...]the US accounts for 5 percent of the world’s number of annual deaths, the country now has 29 percent of the world’s total Covid-19 deaths. In contrast, China, which accounts for 18 percent of the world’s total number of annual deaths, now has about 2 percent of the world’s total Covid-19 deaths[...]

RichCC 8 May 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hey I'm a recluse hiding out in my cabin "sheltering in place" as a lifestyle.
Those morons can intermingle and sneeze in each others' faces all they want. Won't bother me.

But we like being Number One! God Blessed us!

Maybe it’s from hanging ‘around here,’ assuming that ‘our nation’s best’ would be up to the task of.. see through the fog ..but when it comes to the rest of this hodgepodge of a fractured nation … the only way it’s going to learn anything is the hard way - and that lesson likely won’t last.

I agree with your sentiment, but the sad reality of our situation does not bode well for ‘America’ 😕

Varn Level 8 May 26, 2020

The infection in our county had remained low for months and now has doubled since Phase 2 went into effect on Friday.

We lead in sheer numbers but we are nowhere near the hardest hit in terms of deaths per capita. It seems to me that deaths per capita is the most useful figure when comparing countries because the aggregate of cases depends on the amount of testing and who is tested. And that number says nothing about how many have recovered. The overwhelming majority of affected people have only light or no symptoms and don’t even report in. It’s hard to mistake a death.

We are lower in deaths per million than Spain, Sweden, UK, Italy, France, The Netherlands, Belgium and Ireland. In cases per million we are lower than four or five countries.

[worldometers.info]?

Counting per population doesn't improve the picture much. I guess we slip from number one to number nine by this table (https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/) but I don't see that as much of an improvement.

Here are the top few lines of the table:
Edit -- Sorry. My Android doesn't seem to have tab characters. Deaths per millions is the last number in each line.

Confirmed deaths    Population (millions)   Deaths per million

Belgium.........9,312...11.42.....815.26
Spain...........26,834..46.72.....574.31
United Kingdom.36,914...66.49.....555.19
Italy..........32,877...60.43.....544.04
France.........28,421...66.99.....424.27
Sweden..........4,029...10.18.....395.65
Netherlands.....5,831....7.23.....338.34
Ireland.........1,606....4.85.....330.89
United States..98,081..327.17.....299.79
Switzerland.....1,913....8.52.....224.62

@RichCC By all means let’s only look at the figures that make us feel better. 🙂

But now many areas of the country are more or less abandoning precautions, so summer might keep numbers SOMEWHAT low, but unless there's a miracle vaccine or some other breakthrough, we could be in for a disastrous fall and winter.

@Storm1752 Yes, I agree. But as time wears on more and more people will have natural immunity, and more of the most vulnerable will have died, so that successive waves maybe will be less severe.

That’s just my expectation as a non-expert.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:499765
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.