Agnostic.com

6 2

Why does America have so many child brides ?

BBC report from one month ago detailing religious parents forcibly marrying off girls as young as 11 !!!

What's going on over there people??

OutlawJosie 6 Nov 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Dammed if we know. We've got all sorts of lunatics over here and they seem to be running the show.

Americans are all religious and patriotic nuts...they are war mongers and they have their own pedophile Pizza-gate in Washington DC and in Hollywood that spreads their tenticals around the world.
The USA is run by a hand full of rich oligarchy men (the new world order) who own and run the CIA.

I started out this morning feeling sad and lonely. This has gotten my blood "circulating". I feel very much alive, now! Thank you.

America is one big mess! I want out of this country so damn bad, and I am embarrassed to even be an American! Damn fundamentalist!!! Ugh!

You need more females in power. Got to start locally and move on up the ladder. Get issues which affect females on the agenda as a health issue rather than attacking religion head on.
Campaigning for the age of consent and free contraception for all females would be a start .

Fortunately I am a dual citizen so I was able to get the hell out of "Dodge". I would highly recommend it. The last intelligent person out of America please turn off the lights!

Come and live in Australia 😉

The fundamentalist evangelical churches in the south are the worst, openly encouraging young teenage girls to marry guys in their thirties or older. They point to Mary, Joseph and Jesus to justify this as Mary was a teen but forget that according to their Bible it was the Holy Spirit that impregnated Mary - not Joseph. My own father, a preacher, when he was in his sixties told a young congregant of 27 that God had told him that they should marry - and she fell for it!

Wow!! That is insane!! Perhaps you should get a ghostwriter and write a new best seller based on your experiences. Can't see many other people having had such a unique experience in life !!

Perhaps I should! It would be like Rushdie's "Satanic Verses" except for fundamentalist Christianity. Wouldn't surprise me if I (or my Ghost writer) got death threats too from "God's people". 10 years ago I don't think people would have believed me but with what is now being exposed perhaps the time is right.

Don't forget the Mormons. They literally raise their daughters to be child brides.

The Mormons already have their stage musical!

That sounds more like cult members than "religious" persons. Th epeoel shown in the videos are not from normal mainstream families.

I agree that they should make laws to better protect children. However, in the U.S., traditionally family laws is governed by individual states and can vary widely from one state to another. There have been attempts to make national laws to better protect young persons, but the religious right always manages to stop the federal government from making national "family laws".

The net result is that we have antiquated "family laws" in some sates which date back more than a century and do not reflect modern societal values.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4998
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.