Agnostic.com

2 0

I'm no linguist, but often I find myself fascinated by etymology. A phrase whose meaning has changed drastically that I often find myself pondering is "third world." At its beginning, the phrase described a country's political leanings rather than its economic status. All countries were given a label of first, second, or third world during the cold war. First world countries were the US and its allies. Second world nations were the USSR and its allies. Finally, third world countries were those which were unaffiliated. I find it strange how the term evolved, and so quickly.

What are some other words or phrases whose meanings have changed over time?

d_day 7 Nov 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I too like etymology. British words such as "bugger" may be the most well-known. What words have you discovered that did not change meaning, such as the c-word and the n-word?

Gay...

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5002
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.