Agnostic.com

5 6

I am a fan of finding solutions to problems. I am an even bigger fan of finding creative solutions to problems. I think we can agree that we have a pretty deep rooted police problem in the US and while thinking about what actually can be done to propel change, a potential solution came to me. It's, admittedly, quite creative.

I propose that every beat cop car in the US be required to have a ride along nurse. Nurses have stellar de-escalation communication skills because they are used to engaging with people coming from a place of fear, frustration or pain and could help them learn how to better resolve things non violently. Nurses are used to having to safely restrain patients without doing harm and could help check them when they approached an excessive force zone. They could also serve as immediate emergency medical assistance when things do escalate and get out of hand. Though, perhaps the biggest impact would stem from the fact that nurses have consistently been viewed by the public as the most trusted and ethical profession in the US. We could benefit greatly from teaching our police to think a little more like nurses, and at the very least it would infuse a bit more balance to the scales on the street.

What potential solutions have you considered?

Amzungu 8 June 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think that any cop who has had a report filed against him/her indicated possible excessive use of force should be reassigned to a desk job for a year. Some will do that year and then go back on the streets a little more "aware" of how they interact with the civilian population....others will see it as infringing on their right to channel their inner bully and quite possibly quit the force altogether....could be a kind of "self cleaning" of the dept. - if you will.

I think that's an excellent idea. Too many of our problem police have had numerous excessive force complaints made against them and nothing seems to be done about it until they actually kill someone. That chain needs to be broken much earlier on.

De-militarize the state (and local) police forces, for a start. When I see a riot cop wearing more armor or protective equipment than our soldiers overseas, I know there is a problem. All these high tech weapons and gadgets police get equipped with these days is ridiculous, if you can't get by with either a shotgun pistol or sniper rifle, then you haven't been trained too well in my opinion. Absolute power has a way of corrupting absolutely. In case anyone wonders, the answer is no, I am not anti-police. I am however for police going back to the days of being true peace officers. My maternal grandfather was the Sheriff of the town he lived in at the time (circa 1950's), and had he been living today I know he would be appalled at some of things cops get away with these days.

I completely agree. I look at other countries which don't even allow their police to carry guns unless the situation is expected to merit it, then I look at our police force and it certainly makes you wonder why we need so much weaponry to do the same job. I think better training and education on how to be a true peace officer would be of great benefit to all involved.

@Amzungu Strangely, in Spain ALL police carry a pistol when on duty. But firearms incidents are rare. They prefer to use reason.

Cops I've known have all started out with optimistic hopes of ''service'' and ''helping people make a difference." After about 8 years--they've been so stunned by PTSD and the horrors of life as an urban cop that they're just not the same people. I'd propose some kind of rotation, where experienced cops have some time away from the street, doing more education or genuine public interactions. Maybe I'm naive but I can't help but wonder if it would help save them...their families....the people they serve, etc.

Something like this already happens in Spain. The para-military National Police (Guardia Civil) do tours of duty in different parts of the country on a staggered basis, so that there are always Guardia who have a good local knowledge, but no one spends more than a few years in the place.
They are complemented locally by the "locales" (local police) who are recruited from that area, know everyone, but have restricted powers.

@Petter See? I'm not the only naive optimist! Thanks for this, by the way!

Civilian review boards, that review everytime a cop draws a weapon, be it a gun, a tazer, pepper spray, mace or any other weapon. Body camera on every officer and vehicle, if you turn it off during an arrest, it is a felony and can be used as an affirmative in civil cases for police brutality. You'll lose a lot of cops, but they can be replaced.

The cops you'll lise will be mainly the ones you wish to rein in, anyway.

I like that idea a lot!

In 22 yrs at ER , I have been shoved , punched , got cracked ribs by a drunk patient , threaten with “ my friends will f u up when u get out of here “, spit on it , and to not mention urine and sperm throwing to me and my staff .
Same humans that after withdrawn is over , or after their intitial problem has been solved or at least on the way to be solved , or after they understood that their gun shot case requires no visitors for THEIR protection , all of the sudden they are thankful and calm and better . Whatever , that’s the job , that’s humans , I can take it .
But .
I can only take it Bcz next to me are other qualified nurses and doctors who know their shit and know humans , and we work as a team . I can’t possibly do any of my job without them , or w a policeman as my teammate instead . They see criminals . I see humans .
We do need police that are fair , good , effective on protecting . But I couldn’t be in a car w them . I will slap a bitch , and I have no desire to be fired or get shot .
The ones that I have met through the years at ER , mostly useless . Here in Virginia the worst , but the ones in Texas was the stupidest .

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:503568
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.