Agnostic.com

3 1

Minnesota may see fit to execute George Floyd's killer, or it may see fit to imprison him for life. I see both options as being a cop-out. I put it to the people of Minnesota that a better option would be to subject George Floyd's killer to whatever it takes to force him to divulge what it was that caused him to commit such an evil act in the first place, and then enact laws to prevent a repetition.

anglophone 9 June 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There are already laws against murder. It's futile to make more laws against murdering people. Extra laws will not deter murder.

People only commit murder for a few reasons: 1) They believe they can get away with it, 2) They aren't thinking clearly (crimes of passion), 3) They can't control themselves (sociopaths).

First, it was terrible that this happened. Second, he is being charged with second degree murder/manslaughter. Even if Minnesota had capitol punishment, the charges would not warrant a capitol punishment. Finally, what caused him to commit this act. It's not just him, it is a poorly run system everywhere. He had multiple complaints against him over the years but nothing was done. Blame his lack of training, a GED vs a real education, his military training, or maybe a union that protects the bad apples. There is no one thing that caused this but a systemic failure that has gone on for years. There is nothing he could divulge differently than the fact that the system has been broken for years.

Two points: I am not sure that Chauvin is entirely aware of the actual reasons why he acted the way he did. It's part of his make up that was forged in childhood with many influences he may not be totally cognizant of.

Second, the motivations for the type of racism and lack of empathy have been thoroughly studied and in general are well understood. He is not a unique specimen. He is a product of a undercurrent of white privilege and angst that pervades not only law enforcement, but a large segment of our society.

t1nick Level 8 June 10, 2020

Of all the six comments made here, so far you have shown yourself to be the only person who has properly understood my meaning.

Perhaps this means I need to make my posts easier to understand.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:504667
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.