Agnostic.com

3 2

I wonder a lot. Could this really be a reason?

I sometimes wonder why a god who claims to be supreme and who claims to have created everything on earth will still be fighting other lesser gods to prove his authority. How anyone believed these religions in the first place still baffles me. Could it be that making people believe things was easy in the olden days?

Legzyrules 3 June 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The "gods of the gaps" is disappearing. Believers are always asserting that their particular god is actively responsible for some nonsense that they can't show or prove, even fighting other gods.

I can understand it before the Age of Enlightenment dawned, and @LenHazell53 has given a very good backgrounder as to what was happening in that part of the world at that time. Whet gets me is that in this day and age there are people who accept as "true" the manifestly absurd claims of the Bible (and the Torah and the Quran while we are about it). The ability to think seems to be beyond them.

Simple answer is that the original religion of the the Israelites (not the Jews, that came much later) was polytheistic Yahweh had a wife for a start named Ashera (for who the cartoon heroine She Ra is named) and several others abounded, later to be reduced to the rank of Angel or Demon.
Yahweh just happened to be Abraham's family god originally known as Ea (pronounced Ya) he was the god of wisdom and water. However Ab'ram as he was then called noted how successful among the local religions Zoroastrianism was doing with it's simple dualistic system of one good and one bad god forever at war with one another over the fate of mankind.
So he stole it
Promoting Ea to Yahweh (I am that I am) and giving him all the powers and prestige of Ahura Mazda (The Lord of Wisdom) and dominance over all the other gods.
At around this time the Genesis stories were plagiarized out of various other creation myths an hence the references to the Elohim in the story, almost always translated as God or Lord in English Bibles, but translated as GodS plural by linguists.
After the "loss" of the Ten tribes Judaism developed from the tribes of Judah and Benjamin and one of their first actions was to get rid of Ashera (goddess of forest groves and fecundity) completely (the misogynist prophet Jeremiah was very fundamentally active in this regard) and rewrite all of the other god in to lesser beings, and then re-edit all of the scriptures to reflect the idea that there had only ever been one god and one naughty angel who was soundly booted out of heaven long, long, long ago.

This is really deep and educating. Thanks for the breakdown. That was refreshing too. Now I know where all the my god is better idea came from lol

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:505285
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.