Agnostic.com

8 12

Once again: climber injured from a fall off a cliff near Leavenworth, WA

"Navy helicopter transported a woman injured in a fall on Mount Stuart (9,416 feet elevation) to Harborview Medical Center, Seattle.

"The Chelan County Sheriff’s Office says the 29-year-old woman was seriously injured Wednesday when she slid about 800 feet to the 8,900-foot level of the mountain that’s about 12 miles southwest of Leavenworth. Her climbing partner called 911, but winds prevented rescue helicopters from reaching the woman until Thursday. She was hoisted from the scene shortly before noon.

"Sheriff Brian Burnett says the woman’s condition was stable, but she suffered multiple injuries that required her to be airlifted."

Every year, many people are killed or injured while climbing Mt. Stuart. Only one route is doable for experienced climbers. The other three have crumbling rock.

Last year, a newlywed man leaned against a boulder on the edge of a cliff on Mt. Stuart. The boulder and man fell over the cliff before his horrified wife's eyes. He died.

Idiots from Seattle get stranded on Mt. Stuart each year. They don't bring headlamps, enough water, food or warm clothing. Mountain weather changes on a dime: sleet, snow, ice storms, freezing temperatures and winds in the summer.

I refuse to climb Mt. Stuart because it's too dangerous.

Photo:

I'm at Ingalls Lake (6,000 feet) with Mt. Stuart in the background. On the left is is a popular approach for climbing Mt. Stuart. Late June 2015. Low snow due to a drought.

[heraldnet.com]

LiterateHiker 9 June 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Can’t fix stupid. People need to acknowledge our capabilities and act accordingly.

UUNJ Level 8 June 15, 2020

If you injure yourself on the mountain and don't have health care, what happens?

@Jolanta

Get into Trouble Outdoors — Who Pays for the Rescue?

[content.time.com]

@LiterateHiker Okay, but then when you are taken to a hospital is when you have to pay out of your own pocket in the US. It can cost you your house probably, that is if you do have a house.

Looks to me like that ridge behind you is the top portion of a large dinosaur. I would not climb it, I could not get to it.

@dalfvictor

It's a mountain, not a ridge.

Here's another picture of Mt. Stuart taken while snowshoeing, Feb. 2017.

@LiterateHiker I know, I was trying to make a point that it looked like the back of a dinosaur. I live in Astoria Oregon and when I got here I talked about parking boats, they are moored. I am trainable, thanks for the lesson.

I guess high winds would be a safety consideration for climbers.

You look so little compared to that big ole mountain! 😊

Glad she is ok be careful

bobwjr Level 10 June 14, 2020

Happy she is going to be ok ,So many people are unprepared , some people wonder where the esculators are so they do not have to rough, lol, Another beautiful pic of you in nature , love the back ground. Must admite you catch my eye in the pic before Mt Stuart 🙂

@RoyMillar

Thank you! With a sweaty, wet shirt in high wind, I tried to straighten up and look halfway presentable:

Feet together, shoulders back, hang onto my hatfull of wind.

Epic fail.

Remind never to go without you helping and advising me. Lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:506085
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.