Agnostic.com

13 2

I suppose this is the right umbrella.

How do you feel when you tell someone that you're atheist/agnostic, and the person responds with,

"Oh, ok. I accept that" "Oh and that's alright with me," or my personal favorite, "...and that's fine."

Just those general statements that they are approving of you being different from them. I mostly get it from Christians when I correct them in their assumptions of me being Christian. It irritates me that they feel they have to give me approval for who I am.

How do you respond to that? In a way, it's a bit rude if you ask me.

CatiValti23 6 Nov 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It would only really bother me when these statements are followed by the word 'but'.
Anything said before the word 'but' can be disregarded...

Thank you so much for your responses! I'm going to go through them again and answer who I didn't answer. I really like both sides of the argument and can understand how this could be taken as rude or that the person is trying to show that they're not going to treat you horribly. I've come to open my mind a bit more regarding these responses. Thank you!

When I get that, I simply reply, “Right, and I accept that you’re a Christian.” That usually turns the tables and shuts them right up.

I'll have to try that! It's rather daring of me to say because I wouldn't think to reply like that. He he! It's like, "think about how that sounds when you say it to me!"

Go for it! If you do it right, it doesn’t come off as rude, and it just might make them think for a minute about what they say and how they say it.

This just doesn't happen in England.

No one cares what you are.

I truly want to go to England. There are a lot of things that happen in the US that doesn't happen in England, and I want to bask in it. He he!

I always say your acceptance is of no consequence to me.

I love that! This is quite beautiful and quite empowering! I will practice this response because I think that it shows that we are all on equal ground here.

Seems okay to me.
I agree it would be nice if they didn't feel you needed their acceptance and permission.
But better than making it clear they will pray for you to see the light and become religious.
Perhaps do the same to them. "You believe in a middle-eastern zombie? That is alright with me. I accept your weird cult beliefs, and won't criticize you for them."

Allan Level 5 Nov 24, 2017

I've received the response that they hope I "come back to Christ" or "I hope you find your way back to Christ." My personal favorite, "I remember back in college when I ventured out and studied all the other religions. That's why I came back to Christianity." In my mind I was like, "I don't think you did much questioning and got afraid instead."

I suppose you could respond by saying the same things back to them, "and I accept your beliefs too" or "your religion is ok with me".
Have some fun with it. 😉

That’s exactly what I do!

Don't think of it that way. It's more like they're worried that they'll offend you... It's like if you're gay, or transgender. They don't really know what to say about you.

So it's rude, but not deliberately so.

I can see that point of view. They don't know how to react, so they tell me that they don't want to offend me. Speaking of sexuality and orientation, that is a whole different ballgame too. There are so many things I have come to learn being part of the LGBTQ community.

I get annoyed when they just go right into something like "Girl you just gotta trust God!" or "You know it's all part of God's plan, just pray and get into a good community!" And I'm always too taken aback by the assumption to actually say anything. I manage to get out something like "I appreciate your thoughts." And this usually happens at work so I can't say much because I find it a rude thing to talk about there.

If I had a penny for how many times I've heard that! Lol! Gosh, I'd have my college loans paid off! Ha ha! Yes, it happens at work for me too; therefore, I don't get into a long debate because I have to see that person the next day. I hate work turmoil.

I think I just take it to mean that they're aware that some Christians don't accept others' differing views, especially agnostic and atheistic views, and they're letting me know that they aren't going to berate me for having a different perspective.

I could see that. That's another way of looking at it.

I don't think it is rude if they have a good intention, it is like they assuring you that they won't judge you and it is safe to say so.

surveys show that nearly half the U.S. population think theism is required to be a moral person so atheism/agnosticism are stigmatized so I think it's people's awkward attempt to say they don't believe the immoral b.s.

Yes! I that statistic hit it right on the head. I had to catch my friend one day when I said that the US needs an Atheist or Agnostic president. They were like, "NO, then they won't have any morals!" I replied just as quickly, "what makes you think that atheists and agnostics are amoral? We are humanists! We don't need fear of eternal damnation to give a damn about humanity! If you need that then you have problems with having empathy."

I’m not really concerned. Let them think what they will. If they honestly think some little bearded man is in the heavens directing their lives, then the intellect is suspect from the beginning

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5065
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.