Agnostic.com

2 3

LINK It's not stigma, it's discrimination.

Once again, I'm dismayed at seeing the way some members react to a fellow member with obvious mental illness. Once again, I implore you, if you've nothing nice or otherwise supportive to say, embrace your humanity anyway, scroll on by and say nothing at all.

Amzungu 8 June 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have sincerely urged several to seek help. (Been snarky to a few obvious trolls, too.)
My hope is, for those with problems, that perhaps in a moment of clarity, maybe brought on by re- reading their post, they might seek help......since I cannot call their relatives, or a social worker, what else can one do?
Platitudes, like prayers, are completely useless, ya know......not trying at all seems rotten, like walking past someone lying in the street....is this what you think is helpful?

Maybe, sometimes what we first see as a troll can easily be determined, after spending a few minutes reading their profile, to be someone struggling with social interactions rather than being annoying for the sole enjoyment of others response to said annoyance.

And, no, my point was not that it's most helpful to walk by someone lying in the street, as you say, but that if you're only stopping to yell out "Med Check Time!" and cannot manage something supportive, it could be MORE helpful, especially in the context of social media, to be silent and walk away.

@Amzungu because someone off their meds has such a long attention span?

There is so much ignorance surrounding mental health issues everywhere you turn. Medication is a typical example. People think that "popping pills" is not good for you and should be avoided. But they would never say that if you were taking medication for a heart problem or a kidney infection. Medical advances for people with Mental illness has been remarkable over the last number of years. And there should be no stigma attached to taking that medication. We need to educate and inform people more. And we need to fund mental illness services more in all countries.

Very well said.

@Amzungu I remember a friend of mine some years ago was taking medication for Bi-polar disorder and was asked by someone how long would it be before they could get off their medication. They told that person maybe never. They were then offered sympathy for this. After further discussion it turned out that they were both taking the same medication. The medication was warfarin. The other person was taking Warfarin for high blood pressure and my friend was taking it for their Bi-polar condition. It was discovered some years ago that people taking Warfarin for heart and blood pressure conditions that had Bi-Polar disorder were getting benefits for their Bo-Polar from Warfarin. So my friend then asked that person. "So when will YOU be able to get of your medication. The guy with the High blood pressure said maybe never.

@dermot235 You make an excellent point. Education and understanding is paramount. I don't understand why we don't all have general mental health Drs following us from childhood just like we do medical doctors. Don't know of many who couldn't benefit from a little mental health improvement and maintenance.

@Amzungu The stigma stops us doing that in many cases. It's a shame

@dermot235 Yes, it truly is.

My grandfather’s brother had seizures at about 3-4 yo in the early 1900’s but outgrew them which left him with a speech impediment and some lack of common judgment but he was a hard worker and was good at handling work animals — but some in the neighborhood who didn’t know him personally would make fun of him; especially kids my age as a young boy. Mother being his niece, he spent weekends with us from time to time, and he was super and really normal in so many ways. I always wished others could have seen him as he truly was.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:506571
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.