Agnostic.com

3 0

LINK Large crack in East African Rift is evidence of continent splitting in two

The East African Rift is unique in that it allows us to observe different stages of rifting along its length. To the south, where the rift is young, extension rates are low and faulting occurs over a wide area. Volcanism and seismicity are limited.

Towards the Afar region, however, the entire rift valley floor is covered with volcanic rocks. This suggests that, in this area, the lithosphere has thinned almost to the point of complete break up. When this happens, a new ocean will begin forming by the solidification of magma in the space created by the broken-up plates. Eventually, over a period of tens of millions of years, seafloor spreading will progress along the entire length of the rift. The ocean will flood in and, as a result, the African continent will become smaller and there will be a large island in the Indian Ocean composed of parts of Ethiopia and Somalia, including the Horn of Africa.

zblaze 7 Apr 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

And eventially tha t island will plow into Asia.

That moment when your civilization is so disorganized, it starts to reflect in seismic activity.

I looks like a large piece may be splitting off. I don't think we have a date yet, but it would be a tremendous undertaking for the nations affected.

At the going rate, it will split off at the end of the split off process.

@DZhukovin smartaleck, aren't you

@Spinliesel

Yeah, I love making smartaleck comments, it's one of the ways I have fun!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:50697
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.