Agnostic.com

1 1

Fathers Day question:

From the moment I first saw one of my children's faces, I really knew true and selfless love for the first time. And through the rollercoaster of their mom and I separating, health, travels and all the regular challenges of life - I've always thought of my kids first. But . . . I also have eyes and see how the ratio of inattentive or completely absentee fathers compared to mothers is radically higher. But it leads me to a question I haven't considered much:

For the question, lets assume that on average there are more abusive and/or absentee fathers than mothers. - Ok . . . why? Were the guys born bad? Or were they socialized poorly? Or both? What is going on that its so common? Again . . . are more boys born worse, born bad? Or is society doing it to them? Or a combination? Genetics and/or environment? And how do we change it?

Observer-Effect 7 June 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It appears to remain customary that children will be awarded to their mother, if their mothers want them.. Men appear to expect this, so rarely prepare or envision themselves as a single parent. What they also expect is harsh treatment from their former wife, demands of alimony & child support, the children turned against them, and being ‘replaced’…

Things are changing, but it seems what you described remains a reason fathers are disengaged sooner 😟

As the primary caregiver from birth for two daughters, the only guy at the playground, volunteering at their school … or showing up to meet the parents of their friends or their teachers, I felt the reverse. When their mother decided to leave me to finish raising our daughters alone, the circle felt complete … if reversed 😕

What I noticed from other ‘dads’ while in the thick of it was the fact, though ‘both parents’ often worked, the mother always appeared the primary caregiver, thus was more comfortable with the children ..and they, with her. Dad had different rules, and didn’t know the ones they practiced daily. He could be as loving as possible, yet still feel a distance he couldn’t understand or describe. We’re not wise old men when we’re struggling fathers..

These ‘other dads’ would often, though very reserved ..admit to me how awkward, or alienated they felt from their children, often stating something like, ‘I don’t know how you do that,’ ‘I could never do that with mine’... As if they were failures or incompetent … instead [of] men protecting and providing for their families..

It’s cultural, but changing. Smaller, better planned families, some with no children at all. I do know, it’s not anything lacking in men or boys - cuz I was both, and it worked ~

Varn Level 8 June 21, 2020
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:508204
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.