Agnostic.com

5 5

LINK One-fifth of Earth's ocean floor is now mapped - BBC News

"We've just become a little less ignorant about Planet Earth."

Amzungu 8 June 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So does it shift around? I understand tsunamis are sometimes the result of deep underwater earthquakes, for example

I have not done specific research on the subject but understand there is some shift potential due to climate events, though I have no idea how quickly or significantly such shifts may occur. Again, it's 2020 and we only have 20% of it mapped, and parts of it we still can't get to, so there are many variables. I am just excited to see such comparatively swift progress. 🙂

Great to see that despite living in a world full of superstition, science is still advancing and doing so many great things

That means 80% is not mapped.

barjoe Level 9 June 22, 2020

In 2017 just 6% of it was mapped. We're making progress.

how concerned should we be that the information revealed by this work could further enable capitalistic interests in raping the resources of the oceans? of course it could mean gains in understanding for science and preservation, but those monetary interests have a way of creeping in. perhaps it's just an inevitability.

The article mentions both benefits. Yes, a lot of it is being done with corporate interests in mind, but the data will also benefit conservation efforts. It's the same situation with space exploration. The ones investing in research certainly have something to gain, even if greater good is a part of it or merely collateral benefit. I am still glad it's being done. We know very little about much of our oceans because we simply don't have the capability to fully explore such depths. That we are gaining the technology and someone's investing in the research is a good thing, in my opinion.

Man has mapped more of the moon's surface than the ocean floor of his own planet!
Possibly Mars also.
It's much easier to build machines that venture thousands of miles into space than machines that travel even half a mile below the ocean surface.

Petter Level 9 June 22, 2020

@MissKathleen Trying to map the interior of a woman's mind. I think next time I'll design and build a bathysphere instead.

@MissKathleen Actually, I've hardly been near my computer. I've been painting and decorating, re-furbishing my bathroom, building new mosquito screens, tiling part of my garage, etc. I'm even building a bird bath and food table in the garden.
In my spare time I've been sorting through all the stuff accumulated in my garage and selling/donating a stack of it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:508402
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.