Agnostic.com

8 18

Sasquatch spotted at Wenatchee Ski Area

There's a Yeti at the top of Mission Ridge Ski Area, Wenatchee. Or a Sasquatch. It depends on the weather.

When Mission Ridge Ski & Snowboard Resort had its 50th birthday in 2016, three Wenatchee artists wanted to make a present for their local ski area. So they started brainstorming about what they could make.

"It grew a little bit out of proportion in our backyard, maybe with the addition of more friends, and possibly one beer too far on the idea, but it grew larger and larger,” said Kasey.

One thing was certain:

"It was pretty much always gonna be a Yeti." Said Zeb.

They come by this Mountain/Yeti thing honestly: Zeb owns Lemolo Café and Deli in downtown Wenatchee. It's named for a Mission Ridge double diamond run and the café has a Yeti of its own inside. This beast is actually a costume that was left behind at a Halloween party. Now that costume wears an aloha shirt and shades, and is suspended from the restaurant’s ceiling.

The crew of artists built their big beast in a Wenatchee garage. To attach the ton of truck chains that make him hairy - Kasey learned to weld.

"There are hundreds of small welds on that Yeti so it was really essential that we all took part in attaching his furry coat,” Kasey explained.

The project was funded, and received in-kind donations from a number of Wenatchee businesses and non-profits.

Finally, in September 2019 - the Yeti was ready to move to his permanent home in the mountains and become the 11-foot-tall monster he was always meant to be.

The first time I saw this Yeti from a mile below, I thought it was a man. Imagine my surprise to discover it's an 11-foot sculpture!

[king5.com]

Photos:

Yeti sculpture at the top of Mission Ridge Ski Area. June 19, 2020. Karen took these photos.

As a leg-builder, Karen and I hike up wickedly steep ski runs to the summit, gaining 2,000 feet in elevation over 2-1/2 miles.

LiterateHiker 9 June 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

WOW! You seen him in real life. We used to have one who stood in front of a restaurant in Seaside. The restaurant is now closed but I do not know if the creature is still there. Name of the place was "BigFoots"

@dalefvictor

Click on the king5.com link in my post. Watch the new story.

You can see how cool he looks in the winter covered with snow.

@LiterateHiker Cool, I did not see the link the first time I saw the post. If I am ever in Wenatchee, we will have to have a sandwich there.

@dalefvictor

If you are willing to hike 2-1/2 miles, gaining 2,000 feet in elevation, up wickedly steep ski runs to the summit to see the Yeti, go ahead.

There is neither shelter nor food at the summit. Just high winds and spectacular mountain views.

On sunny days, you see Mt. Rainier and the Cascade Mountains all the way to Mt. Hood in Oregon.

@LiterateHiker At this point, I am waiting for my knees to get bad enough for a knee replacement. Until then I would be doing well to get to a car and out to wave you bye as you hiked up the trail. Otherwise, I would be all over the side of the mountain, love to get out in the wilderness as long as there are no mosquitos, they love me and all I do is swell up.

@dalefvictor

No trails. Not setup for hikers. That's why we hike up steep ski runs.

The ski area is open depending on snow, usually from Thanksgiving to early April.

Cute story. Thanks

That is so cool! Worth the hike for sure

Those are a couple of things I miss from the Seattle area. The climate and the social life in general.
We used to do a lot of nighttime skiing at Snoqualmie Pass after work.

Here is also a picture of the Fremont Troll in town. Ha, ha.😋

RichCC Level 8 June 22, 2020

@RichCC

I love the Fremont Troll under a bridge, by the late sculptor Richard Beyer.

Do you know the, true, story of the troll and the bus that crashed?

@JackPedigo
No.I don't know about the bus. As far as I knew it was 'just' created one day.

@RichCC Years after the Troll was built a (lightly) loaded bus was headed over the bridge. A crazy guy got up, walked over to the driver and shot him. The driver was killed and slumped over the steering wheel which caused the bus to do a 180 and head in the opposite direction. It fell over the bridge right at the troll and landed on an apartment building. Luckily, everyone was at work so no one was killed in the building but 3 on the bus were killed (including the shooter) and some were injured. It was a weird accident and the troll was watching.

@JackPedigo
Wow. I hadn't heard that story. Thanks.

Edit: I just did a Google search on the story and it apparently happened near Nov. 1998 -- shortly after we moved back to AZ. Wow. I don't ever remember hearing the story.

That's pretty cool, they did a good job making that, They can carve those out of wood too, I think. I like the bigfoot commercials on TV. now I'm going to get out of here, I'm scared of bigfoot, see ya.

ml58n2 Level 7 June 22, 2020

That is a wonderful present ,well put together,,yes hiking and seeing that in the distance without really knowing what it really is could be very scary

Is it's name Kevin by chance? 🤔 Or Rusty maybe. 😉

Outstanding

redhog Level 7 June 22, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:508525
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.