Agnostic.com

3 1

“We can know only that we know nothing. And that is the highest degree of human wisdom.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

“Nothing is so necessary for a young man as the company of intelligent women.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

“A man can live and be healthy without killing animals for food; therefore, if he eats meat, he participates in taking animal life merely for the sake of his appetite. And to act so is immoral.”
― Leo Tolstoy

Gloomy 3 June 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Paraphrased from respectively

Socrates
Socrates
Plutarch

Good writers borrow, great writers steal
T.S. Eliot

That first is spot on, an amazing display of courage and insight.

The second sounds very idealistic. In old age Tolstoy and his wife didn’t get along at all. That of course does not negate the statement, but I wonder if he still thought the same way.

I’m surprised by that last. I had thought Tolstoy was an avid duck hunter, based on some of his writing.

Tolstoy learned of vegetarianism from Ghandi, with who he corresponded and came to espouse the merits of it, without ever actually fully embracing it.

Nothing comes to a sleeper but a dream

If you can't eat it or fuck it piss on it

Your turn

lerlo Level 8 June 24, 2020
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:508999
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.