Agnostic.com

5 2

Circa 1980...

Where were you? https:// Was living in the heart of Wash D.C. when it was the murder capital of the world, per capita at that time in history... https:// Before my Mom died she was unfortunately glued to CNN almost all her waking hours, perhaps as if keeping informed would somehow keep her going? She would shake her sweet head and say to me, "Linda the world is such a terrible place, people are going crazy..." And I would finally answer, "Mom, we are only hearing about it faster than ever; think of Genghis Kong-- the world has always had its terrible times and its great ones, too..."
LetzGetReal 8 June 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

1. In spring I broke up with my first serious love, and right after, met the man who would become my first husband. We got engaged on Thanksgiving, and conceived our son on Xmas day. Music was still pretty good in 1980, even with disco. 🤮.

Inherited the family homestead, and moved from a progressive city to where it’s fleeing rednecks planned to make their final stand. The rural county went from Democratic ‘everything,’ to Republican ever since... Sick and sad to witness. Fell in love with rural living, though, dreading ‘visits home,’ to the working class corner of Portland, OR.

My mother loved/ loves the damn city, though. Having grown up the only (obvious) Atheist in a rural midwestern town, she’d remind us often why she fled - “Anonymity,” she’d say! She’s still there, as politically aware as ever … don’t know what she saw in my dad 🙂

The 80’s for me were digging in - and dropping out. As friends were in the heat of competition, it seemed I had everything I wanted or needed. While they were dressing up, I was dressing down. “You’d have made a fine Hippy” was a compliment I’d received from one.. But getting back to the land in the GoGo Eighties wasn’t all that ‘cool’ or respectable. ...and that damned Reagan … the beginning of the end..

Varn Level 8 June 25, 2020

Bad news travels fast. But good news rarely makes the headlines. We do live in amazing times and we are so lucky in so many ways. We should always remember that.

Was living in LA. Going out seeing all the cool bands, and not caring about a whole lot 😄

I think you meant Genghis Khan. Lol. Easy mistake to make.

t1nick Level 8 June 24, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:509152
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.