Agnostic.com

8 4

How’s this position

When discussing religion (mainly with Christians) I say, “To make this easier, let’s first take the position that your “god” is real. So, is he omnipotent? Omnipresent?” (They always say yes, otherwise there is no point in “god&rdquo😉

So, I say ok. So, he knows me. OK. He knows I got my Bachelors degree in geology and studied geophysics in grad school. This he knows. So, he knows I accept nothing on faith and require proof.

From here, sometimes I get asked, “What will prove it to you?” My response is that “god” will know, since he knows everything. So, sometimes the response is, “Well, maybe he sent the proof, but you were not accepting. That gets my response, “He knows me and knows what I would need.”

So, since I never got this proof, there are only two logical outcomes:

1.) God is never going to give me the proof I need and therefore does not care if I go to hell.

Or

2.). There is no god.

WizardBill 7 Nov 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Damn, I thought this was going to be about favorite sexual positions.

My answer would have been all of them. 😉

Or another explanation: god is a romanticized extrapolation of our own egotistical consciousness.

Do their heads explode?

godef Level 7 Dec 4, 2017

if there is a GOD he is some kind of cruel asshole having a huge joke at our expense or just maybe as said there isn't one.

There is no god. There are so many different religions in this world.

i know

#1 is what they'd think in their heads, as you obviously do not have a desire to know God without evidence. Seeking and believing in God WITH NO EVIDENCE is the scriptural requisite for him to reveal himself to you.

Even some Christians miss this finer point that the bible makes clear.

I use this line of thought, too. It is effective because there is no line of reasoning they can use, no "It says in Two Catastrophians 11:2 - 8 that..." nonsense, and no "...taking it out of context..." BS either.

I also enjoy taking them down that omniscient road a bit further with their free will nonsense. You know, like, "How can you have free will when every little thing you will think, do, or say was known before you arrived on the scene? The entire scenario of your life was known before you got a chance to live it." Tends to drive them a little nuts, then they go away and I know I haven't made so much as a dent.

I like to ask them what proof besides the Bible and other religious texts do you have? They can't answer that.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5101
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.