Agnostic.com

20 15

Buzz Kill’s

There was a time in my life when I really wanted to go into communications doing voiceovers because people would often comment on my voice and push me in that direction.
I even had a communications agent give me his business card, interested in training my voice and getting me in radio.

I worked at a restaurant at the time, and when I told my boss, she immediately launched into how I’d never make it in the industry because there was so much competition, she said I’d get lost in the mix.
That was it, my drive was gone.
Sometimes I wonder if my allowing her to kill my buzz was a bad move.
That was over 20 years ago..

What’s your experience with buzz kills?
(AKA party poopers, Debbie downers)

AMGT 8 Apr 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

People like that used to kill my dreams too when I was younger. I then learned over the ensuing years that they're usually bitter, jealous, miserable people who cannot stand to see anyone else succeed. So they'll tear you down. It's quite pathetic, really.

My parents just laughed every time I talked about my dreams, like there was no way. It really effected my life path. I’ve overcome those oppressing voices, but my life sure would have looked a lot different if I had been loved and supported properly.

Good grief that sucks. What would she know anyway? :'(

My girl often tells me I should be a voice actor. It only really comes out shopping or driving.

My buzzkill, one of THE greatest regrets of my life to this day, is feeling I had to pass up an apprenticship with a top taxidermist because the shop was across town & my car at the time wasn't reliable. Then I moved out of state, but not before giving the lady some stuff out of my freezer to work with so it wouldn't be wasted. (A baby fawn my mother found on the road dead & a milksnake).

You can still try.

@AMGT LOL @ "milkshake" haha would be hard to skin that I think 😉

So long as you're at peace. ((( AMGT )))

@AMGT re: taxidermy, yes it was awful missing out on that. She was a most interesting lady, taking me under her wing out of the blue. Other taxidermists took work to her to fix. Her speciality was fish. She had drawers of glass fish eyes, so cool.
She'd pull bird shells out of the "tumbler" & looked like all one would have to do was breathe into them & they'd take off.
She passed from cancer 10 years later.... 😟

When I first began "asserting my self" was freshman year (usual, I suppose), moved to the area 1/2 way through the previous year, so not a lot of friends- great way to start. I had always ride everywhere- ALOT and I had already experienced Runners High multiple times years earlier. First day of gym/p.e. class- our teacher was the cross-country coach. In a not so subtle move he had us do a long distance run. I blew the doors off of everyone with little effort. On the way back to the locker room, the coach was following after me like Chester & Spike... raving about how great I'd be at cross country and track- but most CC.... and he looked at the name on my shirt.... WHAAAT? Are you Lynda's brother?...yada yada yada...I can see it already in the yearbook, "Brother follows in sister's footsteps."... my sister being the queen of CC in the district. GRRR. I shut it off immediately. I wanted nothing to do with being compared to my sister. Didn't do CC or track. Foolish me.

I then had it multiple times in my current marriage. Everytime I'd bring up an idea on what I wanted to do- ALWAYS shut down with reasons why I couldn't/shouldn't. And not just in a "devil's advocate"/think it through way. Pure discouragement. In 2 weeks, I'll be moving to my ideal (affordable) location- an historic building in an old downtown area with space for a retail location & a space for online sales downstairs, place to live upstairs. About 200 yards from a Great Lake. (Perfect would be the same on the ocean- if I win the lottery).I'll be there in 2 1/2 weeks. We'll be convoying- she's moving to the next state over- I'll be driving a truck, she'll be driving her car with our cats which I'll get custody of. She won't be allowed in... don't need/want her opinion.

MikaB Level 5 Apr 6, 2018

Never let one hppen

You might have. The problem is you were likely good at your job and she didn't want to have to go through hiring and retraining another. And if you already doubt, it doesn't take much for someone else to kick what wabbly stilts are left holding you up.

It really is never too late if you are still interested. See if you can get into it now. Take business while you are at it to make sure you get good deals. It becomes a matter of how bad do you want it and why bother listening to others if it really is what you want?

AmyLF Level 7 Apr 6, 2018

Buzz kill is essentially disappointment. Everyone has experienced it. Your old boss was right, by the way. Killing that particular buzz saved you a lot of money and heartache. The restaurant business is dog eat dog and most go out of business.

I was married once. I turned down a potential free ride to med school because of her tearing down my psyche.

i didnt have the free ride factor but my ex didnt want me to go either, Emphasis on EX

@btroje BIG emphasis on EX for me, as well. When I look back on that part of my life, it is as if I am looking at someone else's life. It seems surreal. I am a vastly different person, now. Cheers to anyone who breaks that pattern!

The whole world could take lessons from my parents as far as killing any hope to achieve anything, I'll just leave it at that.

@AMGT ta, I try and have good people around me.

when i was growing up, my dad used 2 say some shitty things. i believed them for a long time. even when i grew up and told myself it wasnt true, i still lived my life with that mindset. i allowed people into my life who didnt have my best interests at heart, i let them stay after they had hurt me because i thought that was all i was worth. i honestly don't know what changed, but pretty much since a bit before thanksgiving of last year, i decided 2 be different. i got rid of all the people who werent soo good for me, i started eating better, i started taking care of my health, and all of a sudden i wanted 2 meet new people, thats how i ended up on this site, and i have met some wonderful folks

Byrd Level 7 Apr 6, 2018

@AMGT thank you! I am 2!

I was at college and was informed I had qualified for the program and was projected to graduate in the top 10% of my school. The advisor said the were XX number that applied and only X amount made it in. I asked her "What about the people who didn't make the cut?", what she said next has stuck with me for decades she said "What do you care? You made it.".
That comment singlehandedly killed my drive for higher education for many decades. I am now classified as a Senior at the university because I have so many hours, but actually at the Junior stage in my chosen program. It's a smaller college that has a great program. Love it.

@AMGT that wasn't my only problem back then, most have been worked through and resolved. Now I think I am no more broken than the average person, still working on it. My only regret is it took so long, but things progress at their own rate.

Most buzz kills I knew were religious loonies who constantly downed my active sex life telling me I was committing "unpure" acts. Have not had that difficulty in the secular community though, most of those I met on here so far rock.

They have a problem. not you.

I had a similar experience with singing. I was pretty much told I'd never make it no matter how good my voice was because I was too fat and plain and didn't have any connexions. I lived in a small town, then a medium city, then another medium city and that apparently killed my chances, too.

I once had a gallery owner view my paintings as a potential rep..she loved my work..then looked at me and said.."I can't take a risk representing you..your work is too avant garde"..that crushed me...people suck.

@AMGT oh yeah..though eventually I found my creative outlet in food service industry..

Witch ?

@Wildgreens lololol..yes I am..I even have a tat that says so..

Only you can answer that. It sounds like you feel like it was a mistake. It is something you can still do. I grew up in radio and television. Doing voice overs has no restrictions of age or a specific look. Practice on your own. Record it. A little trick my dad taught me, when reading copy look one word ahead of where you are. Sometimes agencies are looking for fresh voices.

Check out Voices.com! This is a very doable dream you have.

@amgt iamgroot. Lol!

Let's hear your voice....!!!!
You are still a baby.. just think, if you post something on this site, it will be heard around the world by people friendly to you !
I can't wait to hear you !!!! 🙂

Well , I'm sure that someone here will enlighten you as to how to do that, although. Unfortunately, that isn't me. Lol

@AMGT now I want to see you blushed and giggly too... lol

I worked for a guy that was such a jerk that his shop had a "revolving door" because he made people feel like they couldn't do anything right.

PS, I gotta hear your voice now. 🙂

@AMGT The place I worked at was body shop that did full-service mechanical repair also.
The owner was a body and paint guy who knew jack about mechanical.

He couldn't get it through his head that "book time" is only an estimate and that sometimes unexpected problems will arise when doing a repair.

He would flip if something went too long even though I didn't quote the price to the customer (his daughter ran the office, and of course, she walked on water).

One time we had a customer who insisted on saving money by bringing us a used transmission to install in his beater.
I ended up replacing the thing 4 times before I got one that shifted right, the whole time being bitched at about it taking so long.

Not one person who quoted the job mentioned that if the replacement didn't work properly he was still on the hook for the labor.
Again ... my fault.
I quit not long after that fiasco.

@Paul628 I was a service writer for a dealership, longest 18 months of my life. To stubborn to quit.

@MacTavish Then you know what I'm talking about time wise.
When I quit and was doing estimates at another place, before I did any work on the vehicle I would diagnose then call them tell them what the problem was and what could go wrong during the repair so they weren't completely surprised if it went over the estimate.

If they waited for the estimate at the shop I would take them out to their vehicle and show them the problem, and what could possibly be a problem during the repair.

I was married twice! Second one wanted to change me. I hated myself so much. It ruined me on marriage.

@AMGT the only advantages to marriage is it is a legal binding contract. If your mate has an accident and is in ICU with visitation by family only, you are out of luck. At best you are 'just their boy/girlfriend or room mate' from a legal standpoint. If you live with them as partners for 30 years and they pass away, you are not entitled to shit.

Why do people always have a need to change each other ? I don't get that ?

@Joshuahenley "Women marry men hoping they will change; men marry women hoping they won't. Both are wrong." Author Unknown

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:51069
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.