Agnostic.com

3 4

LINK Is Your State Doing Enough Coronavirus Testing To Suppress Its Outbreak? : Shots - Health News : NPR

Why is the US failing at containing Covid-19? Testing. 4 months in and we still lack the proper kits and supplies to meet even the least ambitious goal of testing needed to succeed at mitigation. Forget suppression. Not even a hope and a prayer will get us there.

"In the analysis presented here, states' current testing levels are compared to two testing targets. The less ambitious target is intended to achieve what public health experts call "mitigation." This means keeping the size of current outbreaks from growing; this approach requires enough testing to get to 10% or fewer positive tests.

Thirty-two states currently aren't doing enough testing to achieve mitigation. That's probably one significant reason why alarming spikes in infections are erupting in hot spot states across the South and West.

Increasing testing is not simply a matter of ensuring an adequate supply of tests to existing testing sites. Jha's group recommends that communities test much more strategically.

For example, frequent, regular testing could be targeted at people in high-risk settings such as nursing homes, meat-packing factories and prisons. Universities, when they reopen, could test students weekly; schools could test teachers regularly, and hospitals could provide testing not only to employees, but to their families. This approach would also spot many more asymptomatic or presymptomatic cases, people who are infected and could still be spreading the virus even though they haven't developed symptoms."

Amzungu 8 June 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We are testing more reversed some openings unfortunately we are a tourist destination

bobwjr Level 10 June 30, 2020

New York has reduced the rate of infection to less than 1%...

I am somewhat confused. It is commonly stated that for every reported case there are ten that go unreported. Also, in my state about ten percent of tests come back positive. What that tells me is that the number of reported cases is a bogus number. Test everyone in the state and suddenly the new case figure would jump to half a million. That is not some scary hypothetical—that’s what we have, like it or not.

Would someone tell me of what possible use are all these tests? Don’t tell me that contact tracing is going to be done on a half million people. It would take an army of workers to trace the contacts, and how could you possibly force so many people into quarantine? Each of the half million would have had multiple contacts.

I understand that the spread of the disease is slowed by staying home, or if it is necessary to go out by wearing a mask. Those are prudent measures, especially for older people, but the bulk of the population needs to be out working and keeping society going.

The risk for younger people is slight.

Younger people have been getting infected more frequently lately...

@Cutiebeauty is right, we are seeing more and more young people with serious infections. But the thing about testing is that we need to be testing smart, not blanket testing. Testing, frequently, those with highest risk of exposure as we open things up will allow us to identify the hotter spots and problem areas and focus attention where it is needed. Contact tracing and isolation is part of that, and I can't help but think we are still better off with even half our work force out there than being completely shut down and having none.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:510981
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.