Agnostic.com

4 2

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Fred_Snerd 8 June 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Define "sound."

@Fred_Snerd Well if it's a "sound" only if someone hears it, then no, it doesn't make one.
If a "sound" is the vibration itself, then yes, it does.

Great video, thanks!

The sensation that we identify as a sound is entirely imaginary and is only symbolic of ultimate reality, which is beyond our ken. Whatever a squirrel or bird makes of it I have no idea, but whatever it is, their model is different than ours. I have no way of knowing if your model is anything like mine for that matter. So the answer is no.

In the video it is stated that there’s no such thing as a thing, which I’ve said before. For efficiency and survival purposes we assign the status of “thing” to repeated and similar bursts of sensations. We are so lost in our imaginary world of things that we have lost sight of consciousness, our true Self.

Isaac Newton himself said that particles of matter are not things, yet people insist on a rote belief in a mechanistic and materialistic philosophy, spawned by a misunderstanding of Newton’s physics.

Max Planck said in 1944, "As a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clear headed science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as a result of my research about atoms this much: There is no matter as such. All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together. We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent mind. This mind is the matrix of all matter".

@Omnedon Whatever impression you form of the vibrations is entirely mental. Vibration of the eardrum stimulates certain nerves and neural impulses travel to other nerves in the brain.

Where in this picture is there room for what you experience as sound?

"In physics, sound is a vibration that propagates as an acoustic wave, through a transmission medium such as a gas, liquid or solid. In human physiology and psychology, sound is the reception of such waves and their perception by the brain." (Wikipedia)

So, which definition of "sound" are we using? If the former, then yes; if the latter, then no. Personally, I favor the former definition.

what your calling sound by the definition of physics is only a wave. it is not sound though it has the characteristics to produce that should you have the proper equipment around like an ear and a brain to interpret it as the experience we call sound. that wave could be experienced differently. for someone who is deaf, the wave could be experienced as a vibration through the sense of touch. similar to the way that nothing has a taste until tasted. there's no such thing as visible light until it is seen. I would say that it's similar to the way a radio telescope collects radio waves from some distant object then interprets that data (stimulus) into pictures.

@Fred_Snerd sound hound.

@Fred_Snerd very creepy. weird. but I think it's weird mostly because that ain't what it really sounds like. I don't reckon it really sounds like anything. the interpretation of the radio wave into a sound that we can hear is probably very different than the waves our ears and brains are have evolved to interpret. the sound that we hear is put it on a scale for us.

@Fred_Snerd cool. I never thought about it being a Star Wars Blaster that's really neat.
knocking on pipes can be pretty fun too.

nope. not if you are including squirrels and stuff.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:511076
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.