Agnostic.com

10 2

You’re right!

How important is it to you that your opponent (for lack of a better term) concede when they understand that they were mistaken?

Are you quick to admit your argument wasn’t true /sound when you’ve been handed evidence to the contrary or a more logical argument that dismantles yours, or do you resist admitting that you were wrong?

AMGT 8 Nov 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think we all resist initially, but funny thing with evidence, you kind of have to follow it.

I’m not as worried about who quits first, as I am about each of us being able to admit when/if we are wrong.

How important that they concede? If the matter is trivial then I give my perspective and hope the seed has found fertile ground. If the matter is dire then it is essential they hear my perspective to expand on theirs and correct any mistakes they may have made in their assessment. Giving up is not an option until they concede my perspective has merit.

If my argument was based on faulty or incomplete information then yes I am quick to concede. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Nov 25, 2017

I have no problem with owning up to being wrong. I expect others to do the same, but I won't press for it because it is a waste of time and is not constructive.

Yes,

Doesn't mean the believer will, unfortunately.

Easy check for that is to ask a Christian: so the Bible is the infallible and inspired word of God right? Okay, so women can't speak in church then, according to your new testament. Can women speak in chuch?

I’m quick to admit I’ve made a mistake when I’m wrong, because I find no shame in being wrong, but I find a hell of a lot of shame in being willfully ignorant.

I can't stand people who pretend to never be wrong and try not to be that way myself. I'm working on this still and probably always will be until I die having a lot of experience with some who are always right.
We limit ourselves playing the superiority card.

If my opponent is profoundly wrong about the subject, then It's important to try to get them to at least acknowledge my points.

If someone dismantles my argument, I'll readily concede, no reason to be an ass about it.

I’d like to think I’d be up to admitting I’m wrong, but I tend not to want to concede. I like a good argument though.

I try making a real effort to concede when I'm wrong, but you better have evidence that I'm wrong. Lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5115
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.