Agnostic.com

2 0

LINK Epidemic of police racist violence. Fact or Fiction?

Is there really an epidemic of lethal police violence directed at the black community by racist cops and racist policies? Or are we being manipulated by media broadcasts of only extreme right or extreme left viewpoints. Try to keep your confirmation bias in the cupboard if you take the time to consider Sam Harris' arguments.

MsDemeanour 8 July 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Before I watch the clip, I'll automatically, reflexively, say it's fiction.
One truth is, I think, because of dislocations and imperfections in society as a whole, there are pockets of extreme violence and crime, usually or always in inner cities which are predominately black and Latino. This is not prejudice and/or racism; it is fact, in my opinion.
Cops know this, of course, and also know their lives are in immediate danger in such locations, so are in a state of heightened alert, bordering on paranoia. And sure enough, these areas, described as "war zones" by many, are often the scenes of life-threatening situations featuring guns, including automatic weapons, which require police to make split-second decisions. It's not surprising they sometimes make mistakes. To call these mistakes "racist" is often fallacious.

@SeaGreenEyez Okay, maybe I AM wrong. You seem to know what you're talking about. I'll think about it. Thanks for taking the time.

@Storm1752 Sam Harris would support your view. He does back it up with a research study but as stated, more research needs to be undertaken.

@SeaGreenEyez . Did you listen or read the transcript?

"Take a look at just how many "mistakes" cops have made so far this year....598 dead citizens as of yesterday. That's a lot of "mistakes" and a whole LOT of needless loss of life........They do, however, target minorities 25% more than whites. Just imagine...it they were to kill whites as often as blacks. They'd be killing 8 citizens per day instead of only 3"

Yes blacks are definitely targeted more than whites but his research suggested that it was black cops that were more likely to pull the trigger on other blacks than the white cops. This is no excuse of course. But there might be more at play here than racism. This is why we need comprehensive research.

@MsDemeanour Is it possible blacks are the recipients of police 'brutality' proportionately more often because they are correspondently more often engaged in criminal behavior, because a white-dominated society freezes them out of opportunities for lucrative employment?
In other words, are some people blaming the police on the front lines, while those really responsible continue to pull the levers?
Could it even be "RACISM" is actually deeply embedded in our DNA (regardless of skin color) and thus can be removed from public life only by legal and judicial fiat?
In other words, are whites no more "racist" than any other racial group, but just only happen to be (in our society) in economic and political power? That if BLACKS were in power it would be WHITES being discriminated against?

@Storm1752 I believe you are on to something here. I believe there were evolutionary reasons why humans are inherently racist. Back in the caveman period, we lived in groups of around 100-150. Our days were spent focusing on survival. If we saw another person approach we had to decide instantly if they were of our clan or were a potential threat. Understanding this genetic predisposition, we can decide to be racist or we can decide not to be. While I call myself non-racist I constantly check myself. I don't want to have any unconscious biases; it is not the person I want to be.

It is real, I am White and have been on the receiving end from these COSTUMED FUCKING THUGS . Also I live in Wilmington, NC and we had Three Cops fired last week who all had more than 25 Years on the force for an Hour Long Rant on camera and on the radio how they could wait to start KILLING N*****S . Like I have said for 25 Years, THE ENTIRE ORCHARD IS BAD .

GEGR Level 7 July 4, 2020

Yes there has been shocking incidents of police brutality. They certainly need to be held accountable and require greater training.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:512004
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.