Agnostic.com

6 9

Judge orders Dakota Access pipeline shut down pending review

Hooray!

A federal judge on Monday ordered the Dakota Access pipeline to shut down pending further environmental review, a victory for the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe.

U.S. District Judge James Boasberg wrote that the pipeline must close in the next 30 days.

[nbcnews.com]

LiterateHiker 9 July 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes saw the decision,wonder if it will happen,,30 days to empty the pipe , That is a short time line for such a huge volume ,wow effectively stopping the flow of oil ,wonder if they will try an alternate route , 30 days is practical no time to do anything in court if they try to avoid it

Victory for all of us, not just the Standing Rock Sioux.

I'm hoping the pipeline company doesn't have a straight pipeline to the Supreme Court via Barr.

A very big victory for the way things are supposed to work if nothing else.

From what little I've read... The U.S Army Corps of Engineers is expected to finish a full court-ordered Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for the pipeline by mid-2021.
That's yet another underscore for the importance of this fall's elections.

And the judge didn't leave any question. The order was that the pipeline was '...to be shut down and emptied of oil by Aug. 5'. I hope that pushes the actual effective decision until next year when presumably someone much more competent than our current Orangareeto can make it (and hopefully permanently restore the pipeline's denied status).

Don’t pin your hopes on the election. It was under the Obama administration in 2016 that the thousands of protesters at Standing Rock were pepper sprayed, tear gassed, sprayed with water cannons in sub-freezing weather, shot at with flash grenades and rubber bullets—two women were permanently disabled— 800 arrested, strip searched, held without access to attorneys, etc. And Obama, implored by many of us to halt the atrocities, announced, “Both sides need to be heard. Let’s see how this plays out.”

Let's hope it sticks.

Thanks, Al. You’re a good man to follow here.

@yvilletom I try, and it's informative and entertaining

Awesome

bobwjr Level 10 July 7, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:513001
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.