Agnostic.com

5 3

Holy moly, “irregardless” has been legitimized by Merriam-Webster.

“Regardless of What You Think, 'Irregardless' Is a Word“

[npr.org]

Apunzelle 7 July 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's consistent with their policy of allowing words to be defined by the way they're used.

It seems to follow the sloppy trend that if something is used often enough, then it's a word. That seems an awfully loose criterion. (Plus, that word really grates on me.)

NO!!!!! Ugh!!!!

I do understand that language evolves. Really, I do! But, bloody hell, that doesn't mean that atrocities like this should be allowed.

Language should evolve to encompass new ideas. "Web," for example, has expanded its meaning beyond physical structures, and even beyond its old metaphorical meaning ("what a tangled web we weave..." ). I'm cool with that (see? The word "cool" has evolved, too.)

But "irregardless" isn't a word to express a new idea. It isn't metaphorical. It's just sloppy.

Too right, @AmyTheBruce. When even Merriam dumbs down, sigh, things don’t bode well for us.

Because it's now in the dictionary does in no way mean I have to use it. I am far more likely to use 'pandiculation' in everyday speech than that. If they should so much as hint that it should be used, they'll be faced with one fine donnybrook with this lad.

One of a multitude of the things that make death welcome 🙂

Varn Level 8 July 7, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:513294
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.